Unnerved by an advertiser

fmw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.foodieforums.com
I can't help but be unnerved by http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prodetails.aspx?prodid=362469

which advertises on TPF. This morning they had a Nikon D200 for $479. I don't believe that and I ordered one just to see what would happen. I can't tell you what will happen since it was just earlier today but I'm willing to bet I won't get a D200 for $479. Later the same ad and web site shows the product for $739 or something like that. Still a little hard to believe. What is going on there? Anybody know?

Just to be clear on this, when you say they advertise on TPF, were they a link in a google ad up at the top right, or one of our core advertisers? I'm thinking it must have come up as a google ad (which we unfortunately don't choose the content on).

Just to be clear on this, when you say they advertise on TPF, were they a link in a google ad up at the top right, or one of our core advertisers? I'm thinking it must have come up as a google ad (which we unfortunately don't choose the content on).

Yes. I would get rid of that. If you can't control the content of the ads, it could hurt your reputation. Seriously, I'd get rid of the google ad thing. I wouldn't have placed the order if I didn't think it was a TPF advertiser. In the meantime, I'll do a chargeback tomorrow now that I know it's a scam. No harm done. Thanks, Matt.

Yes. I would get rid of that. If you can't control the content of the ads, it could hurt your reputation. Seriously, I'd get rid of the google ad thing. I wouldn't have placed the order if I didn't think it was a TPF advertiser. In the meantime, I'll do a chargeback tomorrow now that I know it's a scam. No harm done. Thanks, Matt.

Google ads are commonly used by a large percentage of websites. the adverts which appear in them are randomly generated by the keywords used on a webpage. there is a good chance it (best price cameras ad) may not appear very often again

I am always wary of google ads, they bring a lot of money to the page, but the content can't be controlled so...it's win/lose. Just know: ALWAYS check resellerratings before making ANY purchase online.

Wow, I hate to hear stories like this. Its a scary internet world out there. I have been taken by a popular online camera store and have learned to keep my credit card off the internet unless its with a company with positive feedback.

Most reactions

Back