What's new

Unsure about an unusual portrait

Lukep

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 2, 2010
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was sitting in the kitchen late Christmad day playing with some settings as the kitchen light offered a challenge and my internal thoughts were to try and capture my dad in a normal pose (he is awful for taking photos). I came up with this. I love it. But as a photo im not so sure. I dont know what it is.

dsc0016bdh.jpg
 
It's certainly a candid, and if you like it, then it probably portrays something meaningful about your dad. That alone would make it a good portrait.

Now, as far as making it the best possible photo, you need to ask yourself whether certain things about it add or detract from the image, e.g., elements in the frame like the white patch on the right and the red cabinet door. If they somehow are necessary parts of the image to you, then you are set with regard to framing, even though portraits are more typically vertical. Further questions are the contrast and color saturation, both of which are quite high - do you want to dial these back some? There also is a slight yellow cast - I'm guessing this is incandescent light and average white balance - a color balance adjustment might be worthwhile. The motion blur doesn't bother me and may be part of what you like about the image as it probably captures the way he moves.
 
I agree with KenC, the overall composion is up to you and will be based on what is relevant to you.

That being said, I like the photo very much - did you consider converting it to black & white?
 
It's quirky and kinda odd (not your dad, but the colors, bold shapes, and how it's composed).

I really like this image. A lot!

If it were my image, I would perspective crop the wee bit of black window on the very edge (left), and the black line/seam of the cupboard door(right).

But, for a quick thought to take a shot, this is VERY INTERESTING! I love the bit of motion blur on his hand.
 
Agree with black and white, maybe even just desaturated quite a bit would look good as well... but that's a look I'm partial to.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom