Untapped Power - Seeing Its Last Intact Days...

LostInPa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
About 2 years ago, a friend picked me up and took me off to what he said could be our new secret spot. After a short drive, we arrived at what looked like a huge brick building resembling a power plant with a strange metal thing on the roof. It was located on part nuclear power plant/airport/military base property, so it seemed like it would be a challenge. It was surrounded by 3 fences and guarded by military police, hia police, and local police. We also knew it was about to be abated and was being inspected by the epa, so there could be people inside, but we didn't care. We wanted to see it in its original state of decay before it was all torn up.

Once inside (after some extremely nifty work), we realized we were in a power plant. Constructed of unprotected steel, concrete, masonry, and surrounded by swampland and man made water channels, the SCPA Power Station was our most impressive local find, by far. Vandalized heavily in the late 90's until 9/11, the power station has enjoyed a nice break from the random acts of vandalism and masses of kids when it was sealed shut after the tragedies. There was not a single thing in the building that indicated there have been people inside for over 4 years. Almost all graffiti is dated from '97 - '01. We had resurrected a play land!

After a few months of roaming the untouched (since '01 :) ) plant, the 69,000 square feet facility finally underwent a massive environmental cleanup by the EPA. We had free roam during abatement and even got to enjoy lights and heat all winter long. This year though, was cold. The workers were all gone and equipment removed. Bidders are currently awaiting feb 12th for a meeting and a chance to visit the property. Seems its days are numbered, so i went back the last few days to take advantage of the place still standing and document what will soon be no more. Enjoy!

IMG_5775.jpg

IMG_5773.jpg

IMG_5677.jpg

IMG_5765.jpg

IMG_5763.jpg

IMG_5760.jpg

IMG_5754.jpg

IMG_5750.jpg

IMG_5741.jpg

IMG_5731.jpg

IMG_5726-2.jpg

IMG_5714.jpg

IMG_5699.jpg

IMG_5697.jpg

IMG_5769.jpg

IMG_5686.jpg

IMG_5680.jpg

IMG_5770.jpg

I hope you've enjoyed what i've been up to the last few days.
Stay tuned for more pictures before and during demo as well as some exteriors. Eventually...

I especially like 1-4. I don't know if its just must me but they seem to have a semi-HDR feel, which works very well for these types of shots.

I also found 11 to be very interesting.

Did you set up #11?

Overall great shots and narrative!

Nice pictures, do a night shoot there..

Might be too scary for me at night

:]

I did set up # 11 (and then workers ruined it!)

I go there at night all the time!
Great view of an international airport (the plant is at the end of the runway) and nuclear power plant...

nice .. i like industrial ruins!

reminds me of my youth when we would sneak into industrial ruins just days before they were about to be blown up ;)

very neat! some very nice shots!

These shots create a awesome mood. That building sounds like a really great photo op, nice find and great pics!

great find! and nice series, i like the first 3 the best!

Most reactions

Back