Up close, long lens

Kenneth Walker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Burghfield Common, near Reading, Berkshire, UK
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Wandering through the park in my local town (Reading), tooled up for some bird photography, with Panasonic G80/G85 and 100-400mm lens, I spotted a couple of grey squirrels. Some people regard them as vermin, given they don't belong here, but I think they can be quite photogenic. I managed to get quite close to one...the great positive of urban wildlife, or he was concentrating on his breakfast. Handheld, so I wanted a quick shutter speed when the lens was wound out to 400. Needed a narrowish aperture to guarantee focus of the whole beast. Decided on a high ISO of 1600. At f11, had 1/800 sec shutter speed. (Aperture mode) Looks OK, I think.....any alternative suggestions for next time?

breakfast1.jpg

Very good!

I would like to have seen the entire tail included.

I agree about the tail. F5.6 should have done easily for dof. Nice image. That 100-400 is a nice lens. If the Oly 300mm didn't exist I would have got one. Maybe one day when I have disposable income I'll pick one up. Always nice to have a zoom with that reach.

Agreed about the tail, but as you said, we are at their mercy as to what they allow us. Good lighting and dof.

BrentC Correct re the lens... a real cracker and a bit more certain with the focus than the 100-300mm. About £1300 here, but i managed to buy one for £1100 by going to a camera show where one of the retailer's stands was shifting vast quantities of merchandise, handily right next to the Panasonic stand, where I was allowed/encouraged to try one of these out.

Most reactions

Back