Upcoming 20th Wedding Anniversary

iflynething

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I figured I'd give a little background just to show how easy it can be to get a shoot:

I walked into the Air Force recruiting office and while taking a practice ASVAB test, another lady came in and knew the recruiter and started talking to him about his upcoming surprise wedding anniversary. Long story short, I asked if he needed a photographer - after all, is IS 20 years being married. He realized he didn't have a photographer and now it will be me.

I shoot with a Nikon D80 w/ 18-135 lens and have a 50mm 1.8 and SB-800. The flash will be nice and will definately use it throughout the reception, but I'm wondering about the lens I should use. I don't think the 18-135 is going to work. I'm not sure what to use though.

What the guy is going to do is surprise his wife by driving up and everyone will be there. He's going to act like they are actually interrupting someone ELSE's wedding party but when they come down the escalator, everyone will look up and the wife will start to recognize everyone.

It will be August 1st from 4-10pm and here's the specs of what the day will consist of:

-Outside "wedding" (renewal of the vows actually)
-There is a lake so before the wedding party goes back in, we will get some shots at the lake which is there then...
-Back inside for the "reception" for the rest of the night.

I would rather you have to much information other than not enough but that's pretty much it. I figured more would help decide the lens.

I was thinking a 12-24 for most of the wedding reception and that would cover me? I don't think I would need the 135 reach for the most part of the night. Possibly use the 50mm for the portraits outdoors. This time of year, I should have plenty of light, but I like the sharpness of the prime lens.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Thank you very much

~Michael~

I would think of it as a wedding... In which case, I'd want to cover the full range. A wide-angle, a good, fast, mid-range zoom, and a telephoto. Anything less, and I'd feel like was walking in missing something. Odds are, the mid-range zoom will live on our camera the majority of the time.

Please tell me this is a paid gig? You didn't volunteer your services did you? Normally when you book something, and the person didn't realize they needed it, and they book while at work, it's not a high priority for them...

If you're in it just for the experience, don't forget that a contract is still crucial - especially if you're going in with limited gear.

That's what I was thinking. I definately want the wide angle and telephoto but can't have it all in one.

At first, I don't even think he was going to have a photographer but I just brought it up wondering.

I don't think he is expecting much, but is spending alot for the other aspects of the anniversary so I just want to give him shots to remember the night

~Michael~

Most reactions

Back