fadingaway1986

I Burn Easily :(
Reaction score
Website
www.06photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys.

Just an update on how the World's Greatest Shave went for me...

This year I ended up holding 3 shave events. One at the local airbase, one at a local school, and one at a not-so-local shopping centre.

The airbase was fairly disappointing. Although, we raised around $400-$500 there... A fair bit of that was from two people who collected sponsorship. A very small turn out, I think that is because we didn't get in and advertise early enough... That said, everyone there was friendly and helpful...

The Local primary school... EXCELLENT TURN OUT! The school has around 600 kids. We came home with $595.35 (charging a gold coin donation (that being $1 or $2 here in Australia)). I expected 400 kids. But I never realised how many kids 400 was until I saw it! We started out that it was just my mum, her friend and myself colouring heads... We had 5 capes just incase anyone else wanted to help... We had all 5 capes operating within minutes... within a few more minutes - we also had garbage bags operating... Some kind mothers had just walked up - grabbed a box of spray cans, gone into the tuckshop/canteen, grabbed some garbage bags, cut a hole in the top, and made their own lines! I turned around at one stage, only to realise there were about 12 different people colouring heads! Also, we had one lady who was shaving her head (which we did on assembley), and she had a deal with another lady that if they raised over $1000, they would both shave their heads.... Well, they raised $1006! So from the school, we raised $1601.35.

The not-so-local shopping centre. Started out very hectic. The first hour is not fun being the person "in-charge"... The "in-charge" person is very popular in this time. I heard my name every 5 seconds... I would be helping one person, when another yelled for me... At approximately 1.15pm, my coordinator turned up to "organise" me... (We finished at 2!) She was very pleasantly surprised by my shave. And she told various people (who were helping me) that she didn't think I would be organised, and had come to organise me... But it turned out she couldn't find anything to do! She also commented I had the best MC she had seen yet. From donations on the day, we raised around $980.

So the tally from events sits at around $3000 (well, just under).

Also, on top of this, I have 55 receipt books out to participants under my name. So I won't know a final tally for a while yet.

All in all - I am reasonably happy with my three days. I wish I had of raised more from the shopping centre. But I have noted things I would do differently (As the shopping centre said they would be more than happy to have me back next year.)

Unfortunately, one negative point. At one stage in the afternoon at the shopping centre event, our microphone made a loud squeal, which my MC followed with "I bet that got your attention!"... Unfortunately, a shopper is now complaining that he can't hear properly, and has made a formal complaint to the shopping centre and leukaemia foundation... I'm not sure on how this is going. I don't know if he is going to sue us... We will have to wait and see... But as the Leukaemia Foundation said, if we got away with one complaint, we did pretty good.

*phew* that was my nice long story... I will post a couple of pics for you all in a minute.

Great stuff Alecia! Those last two days especially. Considering it was your first time it sounds like you've got a natural gift for things like this. I'd be lost if I was given a microphone. :mrgreen:

That guy sounds like an idiot. Sure it may have hurt his ears but I've a funny feeling he's either a grump or is looking to get money out of someone... It'll probably die and they'll never hear from him again.

Thanks guys...

Ferny - this is actually my 4th year doing this... But this is the biggest year (in terms of WGS) so far...

The money is still coming in, so it is looking good..

Thanks for your support :)

Most reactions

Back