? updated Canon 5D

tvphotog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is there any scuttlebutt out there on the release of a new model of the Canon 5D, same 35mm sensor but perhaps more fps, a revamp of the menus, etc?

I've been looking at this model, but it's about two years since its release and maybe about time for an upgrade of its features.

Thanks.

I haven't heard anything but it has been about two years, so yes, I would expect something new this fall or early next year. On the other hand, Canon is pretty much alone in this market with a full frame (35mm) sensor...so they don't have a strong motivating factor to push out a new model. Especially not when their competition for this camera is their own 1Ds mk II (or other 1 series bodies). Well, maybe not competition...but if there were a better 5D, it might cut into sales of their higher end boddies.

I thought that Nikon would have shown up with a full frame camera by now, which would maybe have pushed Canon on this.

What is the big show this fall...Is it Photokina? They like to announce new models in the days or weeks before the big shows.

I'm pretty sure I read some where (around the release of the 1d mkIII) that they were announcing a new body at Photokina. Don't hold me to that though or how true the source was.

There is the rumored '40D' as well. Do you think they would release both a 40D and a new 5D (5Dn or 3D etc.) at the same time?

I don't think they'd risk both a 30D and 5D upgrade at the same time.
People often look at the 30D and if possible can stretch a budget, will go for a 5D.
If a 5D upgrade comes out, it will knock the 5D price down and maybe open a door for a serge of 30D investors to get a cheaper upgrade.... rather than getting a similar model to the 30D (eg 40D).

That makes sense to me. I think they might give us the 40D this fall and a new 5D at PMA 2008. They might also throw in a new 1Ds mk III, to go along with their 1D mk III.

Yeah a 30D upgrade would go well with a 1DS mII upgrade as they're not aimed at a similar audience.
I don't think Nikon plan on bringing out a full frame sensor at the moment, so i wouldn't hold my breathe for that.
I read an article from a Nikon representitive and i'm pretty sure he stated that Nikon had no intentions of entering the full frame market with present technology... or something along those lines.

It makes no sense for Canon to release an upgrade to the 5D at this point in time. The camera has no competition in it's class and price range. With the release of the 1D MarkIII I would expect that the next body upgrade will be the 40D, and IMO followed by a 1Ds upgrade to their flagship as the 1D MIII is cutting into that market with it's release. The 5D, unless challenged, will probably follow next.

But then I am just guessing here. I have no information that this will be the pattern.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back