Upgrade Advice - Sigma 24-105mm F4.0 Art Lens With Canon T3I or Nikon D80

ohitsmrtee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi I am thinking about buying a Sigma 24-105mm F4.0 Art DG OS HSM . Does it make more sense to combine this lens with a Canon T3I or Nikon D80?

Thanks!

Well, it is/was designed for a full-frame sensor camera, but it does appear to be a very solid performer in this review:Sigma 24-105mm f/4.0 DG OS HSM Art Lens Review

It will make a good semi-wide to long-medium-telephoto (an e-View of 158mm on the long end) zoom. It's going to be a lot like the old 35-135mm zooms were back in the 35mm film days: useful for many,many outdoor type scenarios. Not too widew-angle on the short end, however, yet, semi-wide.

Thanks for the reply? I am just trying to find something comparable to the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens . I borrowed that once and I thought it took decent portrait photos. To my understanding 50 mm is good for portraits. I just don't have the budget for the Canon Lens and hope to find a cheaper option.
Thanks

There are THOUSANDS of Canon 24-105 L IS USM lenses on the used market...prices for those are in the $450-$495-$550 range, depending on lens cosmetics and the motivation of the seller. As a portrait lens, a 24-105mm zoom lakes good sense, with the 60,70,85,105mm lens lengths all being very handy. I guess I was a bit confused, since you mentioned both a Canon and a Nikon crop-sensor camera in your original post, so the Sigma, being a third-part maker, made sense as a brand that could be had in either EF or in F mounts.

Good, used lenses can save you a lot of cash. Adorama, KEH.com, MBP.com, others all sell lots of used lenses.

If I now understand your original question, the Sigma would pair equally well with either a Canon or with a Nikon.

Sigma do a 17-70 f2.8-4 lens which I think might make more sense on the cameras you mentioned. A 50mm f1.8, which are not crazy expensive are also good portait lenses on these cams

Does the Canon T3I or Nikon D80 have a better sensor? I know the Canon T3i is a starter camera and Nikon D80 was decent back in 2010. Is one camera better than the other? I got the Nikon D80 from my brother and the Canon T3I is mine

The two are fairly close in sensor score on DxO mark...both are now "old technology" cameras, with an overall sensor score of 61 for the Nikon and 65 for the Canon...both of those scores reflect older-generation sensor technology. Newer, lower-cost Nikon bodies easily better the imaging quality of either of those cameras. At base ISO levels, in good light, both cameras will still perform quite adequately well, but at higher ISO settings, in marginal light, those two cameras now show their age of origin. The Canon has more resolution, being almost 18 megapixels to the D80's 10 megapixels.

If I had to give a nod, it would likely be to the Canon body. See for yourself, here. Compare the Canon EOS 600D vs the Nikon D80

Most reactions

New Topics

Back