Upgrade advice

I'll try to rephrase it to make myself clear. I'm sure getting just Sigma 18-35 1.8 will benefit me. What I'm wondering is whether investing another 800-1000$ to get either 80D or go 6D with a lens around 800$ (to match the price of 80D and Sigma) would provide another big/considerable improvement in IQ.

I'll try to rephrase it to make myself clear. I'm sure getting just Sigma 18-35 1.8 will benefit me. What I'm wondering is whether investing another 800-1000$ to get either 80D or go 6D with a lens around 800$ (to match the price of 80D and Sigma) would provide another big/considerable improvement in IQ.
Yes, if you know what to do with a result. If you happy with 28-56mm on aps-c and don't want to invest your time into learning post processing, buying a Sigma is way, imho.

Before considering either I think you might want to consider the advantages and disadvantages of full-frame vs. crop sensors. You can get nice bodies in either, but you need to compare something closer to apples:apples. E.g.: In Canon a 7D or 7D Mk. II vs. a 6D.

Then you can start thinking about where you want to go with lenses.

At least that's the way I'd approach the question. ICBW.

I appreciate all your replies.

Let me ask you this. What would be the advantages/disadvantages of each setup (price is the same, $1800)?
Canon 6D + 17-40 L4 & 50mm 1.8 vs Canon 80D + Sigma 18-35 F1.8 & 50mm 1.8

Last edited:
After researching a bit more and finding how much trouble people have to go through with Sigma 18-35 on Canon bodies, especially 80D, I decided against it.

Right now I can get Canon 6D + 17-40 L4 for $1650 both brand new or Canon 80D + Sigma 17-55 2.8 for $1450 both brand new. Almost the same weight, almost the same price.

If I were to take a photo like this:
Adventure time in Canada. by Johannes Hulsch - Photo 196916847 / 500px

Which set up would be more suitable? I don't plan on getting more lenses anytime soon (I have my 50mm 1.8) so FF vs Crop in this sense doesn't really matter that much.

Photo like this you can take with your smartphone.

Most reactions

Back