Upgrade Body or Lens?

etp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So,

I currently have a D40 with 18-105mm VR lens on it and love it as an everday camera. I recently used my fathers D90 and love how easy it is to change all of the settings on manual and how well it does with high ISO. Anyways, I am considering selling my body and buying the D90, but with the D7000 around the corner, I want to wait for it. Do you think it would be worth it to wait and just get the D7000 body later on, and buy a 35mm f1.8 AF lens, and maybe an SB-600 now for lower light? I like to shoot alot of landscapes, cityscapes, skylines, architecture, and the occasional aircraft or two. I know none of these lenses are the best for the setup, but can they work for me while I wait for the D7000? Thanks, you input will be greatly appreciated.

If you're happy with the quality you get now, and have your mind set on the D7000 when that comes out, then really where is the question? Upgrading to a D90, and then turning around and selling when the D7000 comes out seems ill-advised to me.. You have to figure that you'd lose a good $100 at least from using a d90 and then selling it, or you could get a new lens, and then upgrade your body when what you really want comes out..

It's a question you have to ask yourself.. A new lens, or a very temporary body upgrade? Seems like a no brainer to me, but I don't manage your money or your mind, so it's certainly your call.

get the d7000 not the d90 if ur gonna upgrade. its a tough choice between the sb and the 35 1.8. i have both and eventually its a good idea to get both :) love the 35mm it rarely leaves my camera. Even if u get a new body i would recommend the 35 1.8 or the 50 1.8 if u get the d90 or d7000.

I dont think the new camera will make a huge difference for what you shoot. High ISO is fun, but if you are doing landscapes, cityscapes, skylines and such, I'm hoping that you are shooting with a tripod, which means you should be aiming at lower ISO anyways.

I would go for new lens 100% as good pro glass will make an immediate difference and you can keep it for years and years. A body is usually replaced every 2-3 years for no pros, almost every other year for pros. But if you have your mind set on a new body, wait for the D7000

Glass first. You sound like you are your client, so maybe this budget will suffice:

1/3 body
2/3 glass

it's a formula that has worked for me. (Except when you switch from nikon to canon like we just did)

Usually I would say glass...

In this case though I dont really know what I would do.

The D40 is quite old, and a new body would be a big upgrade. You could get the D7000 when it comes out for a very reasonable price. It looks to be one of those really good bodies that dont come along that often.

On the other hand pro level glass is the most important factor invloved when trying to get sharp and outstanding images.

Good glass on a cheap body will look better than cheap glass on a good body.

As a general rule get good glass over a new body, but in this case either way is fine imo...

Hope this helps.

- Neil

this is the reason i thought the d7000 might be good to upgrade to cause d40 is now 2 generations old and an entry level. i would say get a 50 1.8 AND the d7000 the 50 is 1/2 the price of the 35 and just as good. Dont go for d90

this is the reason i thought the d7000 might be good to upgrade to cause d40 is now 2 generations old and an entry level. i would say get a 50 1.8 AND the d7000 the 50 is 1/2 the price of the 35 and just as good. Dont go for d90

It makes me wonder how far your money will go in like 5-10 years.

The D7000 has weather sealing, and a 150,000 cycle shutter for $1,200.

This was the same thing that I thought about the 7D when it first came out. Weather sealing at this price?

I guess its good for everyone, because you will probably be able to get a very well built FF body for like $1,000 in the future (adjusted for inflation of course).

It seems that the top of the line pro DSLRs still cost $$$$$ though...

It makes me wonder how far your money will go in like 5-10 years.

The D7000 has weather sealing, and a 150,000 cycle shutter for $1,200.

This was the same thing that I thought about the 7D when it first came out. Weather sealing at this price?

I guess its good for everyone, because you will probably be able to get a very well built FF body for like $1,000 in the future (adjusted for inflation of course).

It seems that the top of the line pro DSLRs still cost $$$$$ though...

not sure about ff cause the price of silicon chips doesnt really go down. The dx format just keeps getting better is all.

You could split the difference between the d40 and d90 and buy a used d80. The layout and controls are the same as the d90, but the sensor is more like the d40x.

You can buy a used d80 for as little as $350 these days; when the d7000 comes out just sell it and buy the d7000. You'll only be out $50 or so for shipping/depreciation.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back