Upgrade camera or lens?

BrentC

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am very new to photography, almost 2 months now, and really enjoying myself. I know at some point in the future I need to do an upgrade, need to do a lot of saving first, and am having a difficult time deciding between camera or lens. I am currently happy with the camera I currently have and also the lenses I have except in one area. First let me list my equipment.

Olympus E-M5 Mark ii
17mm f1.8 - for landscape, street family get together's and low light.
14-150mm f4-5.6 - all around travel lens
60mm f2.8 Macro - macro, wildlife and portrait (although I am staying far away from portrait photography right now, it scares me)
75-300mm f4.8-6.7 - wildlife

The one area where I have an issue is with wildlife. This without a doubt is what I enjoy most. So I know that I will quickly become unsatisfied with my lens and camera, especially since I would like to shoot BIF's. The 75-300mm, although has pretty good IQ for the price, is not very good in low light situations. In fact I hesitate to use it if its not a bright sunny day. And the EM5 Mark ii could be a lot better with tracking and faster AF.

Now please don't start suggesting I should get a Sony or Fuji or a DSLR. I already put quite a bit of money into what I have and really like the Olympus size and operation. I also don't want another set of cameras and lens.

So I can do one of two things. I can upgrade the camera to EM1 Mark II which would get me better tracking, AF and a whole lot of extra features and better performance than my EM5 at a cost of $2500CAD. Or I can upgrade my lens to the new 300mm Pro f4 which has faster AF, pretty good low light and IS built-in to the lens which can sync to the EM5 IS to give incredible hand held ability and all at the very low price of $3200. :-( Obviously the combination of the two would be ideal but definitely not in the cards because of cost.

Of course I still have a lot of practice and learning to do, and what I have is sufficient for now, so this will not be an immediate purchase but something I will start saving for later down the road.

Opinions or suggestions greatly appreciated.

FYI, the IS - Image Stabilization helps with situations with hand/ camera movement while taking a photo at around 1/20 to 1/25th second Shutter Speeds.

Any fast subject which is moving it's wings/ body / legs quickly the IS isn't going to help "stop motion". Only faster shutter speeds stop motion.

FYI, the IS - Image Stabilization helps with situations with hand/ camera movement while taking a photo at around 1/20 to 1/25th second Shutter Speeds.

Any fast subject which is moving it's wings/ body / legs quickly the IS isn't going to help "stop motion". Only faster shutter speeds stop motion.

For still shots it comes in incredibly handy, for BIF or fast moving there is a switch on the lens where you can easily and quickly turn off IS.

For still shots it comes in incredibly handy, for BIF or fast moving there is a switch on the lens where you can easily and quickly turn off IS.
Yes, most lenses have that switch for various partial or full IS, or they are software based.
I was just mentioning it as some people mentioning IS/ VR/ OS do not understand it doesn't fix everything.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back