Upgrade for the general EF-S 18-55mm lens?

AutoEuphoria

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Just starting off in the whole photography world, so please excuse my ignorance. I'm just wondering if there is a basic upgrade to the standard EF-S 18-55mm lens that comes with the new Canon Rebel cameras...maybe something with a little less zoom, and better sharpness/clarity? Ultimately I would like to get a really good general purpose lens, a good telephoto lens (the Canon 70-200mm one), and a decent macro lens, and call it good.

What is your budget? And what else can you tell us about what you want in a lens?

The 'best' lens in this category would be the EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS but it costs more than a Rebel camera. The EF-S 17-85mm IS, is a nice upgrade and has more zoom but still has the smaller max aperture.

The EF 17-40mm F4 L is a great lens and a great price for an L lens. There is also the EF 16-35mm F2.8.

If you want to go 'off brand', then I'd suggest looking at the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 or the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8.

Of course, you could always go with a prime (non zoom) lens. They typically have better image quality than zoom lenses in the same price range.

Most reactions

Back