upgrade path fromNikon D80 - your finest advice for a new forum member, please!

merlin777

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I currently have a D80 (upgraded from a D70 about 3 years ago which was my first DSLR). Although I'm ok with the D80 and I don't want to upgrade just for the sake of it, I'm really keen on the 5100's flip-out screen for the situations I like to shoot in. Shooting hidef video clips also appeals to me.

My question is, given my type of use, I'd really like the benefit of the flip out viewfinder of the 5100 and I wanted to know if you thought I would be disappointed after the D80?

I've considered the D90 but in all honesty the difference between the 80 and 90 doesn't justify the expense and still doesn't give me a flip out viewfinder. Although it shoots video I understand thats not as good as on the 5100.

The kind of things I like to do involve shooting:
  • at ground level and often straight up into the night sky, (hence the flexible screen)
  • I like to shoot the moon but don't want to invest in a long lens so I use my 210mm zoom and crop and so a bit more resolution would be nice.
  • long exposures (cheesy tail-light shots and rotating star fields etc but I like them)
  • panoramas (stitched with MS ICE)
  • macro photogaphy (not a lot at the mo but I want to get into it)
My thinking at the moment is that
1) i would enjoy using the 5100's screen and video for the type of things I'll do.
2) don't want to get caught out with a camera which will give me poorer results than the D80.
3) I note the lack of wireless flash commander but I think you can still remote fire if you use the built-in flash and a SB800?
4) The 5100 still has manual/programme/shutter priority/aperture priority (I' not a complete beginner so I'd want full manual control)
5) The (I think) higher resolution of the 5100 would show over the D80.
6) all my lenses are currently DX so a lack of focus motor shouldn't be an issue
I think I'd get more from the 5100's features butI don't want to compromise quality compared to my D80. What do you guys think?

Oooh - forgot to check - does the 5100 have live preview and can it be fed to a video monitor?​

Last edited:
A couple things on your notes...For #3, no. For #6, the focus motor is not needed with AF-S lenses, not necessarily DX lenses.

In any case, the biggest issue for me with the D5100 is the lack of dual control wheels, lack of a top LCD, lack of a commander mode, and lack of a focus motor. For me, the D5100 is just lacking.

To me, it seems going from a D80 to a D5100 would be a downgrade, not an upgrade.

I agree with Kerbouchard.. the 5100 would be a lateral or downwards move... not an upwards. Have you considered the D7000.... latest, greatest tech in that one... good IQ, excellent ISO signal to noise ratio, controls are wonderful, LCD is excellent (big step up compared to D80 / d5100). It does not have the flip out lcd, but those usually only come on the lower level Nikon's anyway.

I agree with Kerbouchard.. the 5100 would be a lateral or downwards move... not an upwards. Have you considered the D7000.... latest, greatest tech in that one... good IQ, excellent ISO signal to noise ratio, controls are wonderful, LCD is excellent (big step up compared to D80 / d5100). It does not have the flip out lcd, but those usually only come on the lower level Nikon's anyway.

Have you any thoughts on overall image quality of D80 vs 5100?

I have considered the 7000 but i can't really go to the extra expense and I'm not a pro, only a part time hobbyist so I can't really justify it.

I think I'll get a lot of use out of what others may consider gimmicks on low end models but I'm concerned about that overall image quality compared to my current camera. Even if its the same as the D80 I'd be fairly content except with that one application of cropping rather than shelling out for a really long lens.

merlin, if the D90 isn't worth the upgrade and the D7000 is too much expense, you're pretty much stuck.

I have a D80 and a D7000. And as far as ISO performance and many other things, there is no comparison. The D7000 walks away from it.

Stay away from the D5100. I had the D5000 and after the D80 you'll be hating that cam! It lacks the features. Althought the D5100 is a video step up.

As a previous owner of a D80, methinks you made no more than a lateral move and likely a slight downgrade going from the D70 to D80. Now you are thinking of repeating the process.

My suggestion is to use the D80 until the wheels fall off. In the meantime, open a G.A.S. account with your bank and simply have $XX.00 amount automatically drafted each pay period. When the account has reached a balance to offset any other financial obligations, then spring for a new body that will actually be an upgrade. IMO, it's always a good idea to have a slush fund for your hobbies. By having an auto-deposit account, it's more a case of out-of-sight, out-of-mind.

As a previous owner of a D80, methinks you made no more than a lateral move and likely a slight downgrade going from the D70 to D80. Now you are thinking of repeating the process.

My suggestion is to use the D80 until the wheels fall off. In the meantime, open a G.A.S. account with your bank and simply have $XX.00 amount automatically drafted each pay period. When the account has reached a balance to offset any other financial obligations, then spring for a new body that will actually be an upgrade. IMO, it's always a good idea to have a slush fund for your hobbies. By having an auto-deposit account, it's more a case of out-of-sight, out-of-mind.

^^^^that
bigthumb.gif

The only real advantages to the D5100 over the D80 are more pixels and larger image size, and the ability to shoot 14 bit raw. Also Higher ISO with lower noise, and better AF, and a better LCD.

I don't think it is a real move upwards.. just the same camera with the latest technology.... thats all.

I would stick with the D80, and start saving until you can go with the D7000 (or even the D90). I realize that you really like the vari-angle LCD... but if that is what you are basing your choices on, I can't help you! :)

Keep the D80. If you really want a flip screen, look for a used D5000 for less than $400 (with lens). It is not a 3" screen but 2.7 I think.

If you can buy one of those viewfinder extensions, like a 90 degree periscope for the d80 you may be sorted. I know they are available for other nikon models.

If you want to sell your inadequate D80 at an inadequate price I may be interested in a second one. There is a 16 year old in photo school that could use it, and I don't want to give up mine even though its a second body.

I think my thread title may be a bit misleading. Although I say 'upgrade' I'll be happy if the 5100 gives me the same quality as my D80 but also gives me the flexibity of the screen and full hidef video.

I can't really justify 7000 money, however long it takes to save up ,based on my level of use and expertise, especially as i'm not primariy seeking extra quality.

As I understand it, although inferior to the 90 and 7000, the 5100 scores over my current body with at least screen size and sensor resolution. If I compare images side-by side, from a technical point of view will the 5100 be at least the same or better?

Most reactions

Back