upgrading advice..

placeonthecorner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.raisingmissjune.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ok. So ive had my 350d for about a year now, and im looking to upgrade to something a little more meatier. Ive spent a lot of hours reading different arguments about which way to go, and now im well confused. I think ive narrowed it down to either the nikon d200 - the fuji s5 pro - the 30d ..

i will be using this to do promo shots for local bands, but i also want to use it for general shooting whilst im at art school.. i read that the fuji was not so good when it came to detail in landscape photography.. i also read that the d200 didnt perform well in lo-light.. and then i read that the 30d was not that much of a jump from the 350d..

im looking for this camera to be a bit of an investment so any help is appreciated... thanx...

I upgraded to the 30D over a year ago from the 350D. Much better camera in terms of functionality, size and high ISO performance.

I hear they are about to introduce a 40D, if you want to wait.

As far as the Canon line goes, the 30D is a pretty substantial jump. You can pick up a used one for around $800.

The next option is either the 5D or a 'Pro' body. Either way, you're looking at a minimum of $2200.

What about your lenses? If you go Nikon, you'll have to replace all your glass as well. the D200 or the D80 are both nice upgrades to the 350D.

I say go to a shop and hold them. Decide what feels best. There is minimal difference between performance factors nowadays. As long as you're comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges. And to do that, you have to stay in the same price range and megapixel catagory.

The 5D and D200 are huge performance steps up from the 350D. But they're also huge price jumps as well.

As woodac said, if you're switching brands you're most likely going to have to replace all your lenses, so keep that in mind in terms of upgrade cost. My understanding is that while Canon and Nikon each have their subtleties, they really are pretty comparable if you look at similar models in each line. So there may not be a good reason to switch brands if you have lots of lenses already.

thanx for the responses.. food for thought indeed.. i only have 2 lenses for my 350d, and their are not high spec, so i may take the jump to the d200, although ive just been reading about battery issues?!.. 40d you say?.. well tha may be worth waiting for as im used to the canon way of things..
did anyine have an opinion on the fuji s5?.. i dont read about it a lot.. is there a reason?..

The Fuji uses the Nikon lens system. Main reason some people are interested in the Fuji seems to be that their sensors have greater dynamic range - presumably of most interest to wedding photographers. I can't really think of a convincing reason for picking an S5 over a D200 though.

Most reactions

Back