Upgrading...Any Nikon Recs?

gabelimom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all-

I'm upgrading from my D70, after my camera crashed to the floor during a shoot (damn sync cord!). What would be your recs for a good Nikon used primarily for portraits and fashion? I want to make an investment now and not have to upgrade in a year. I'm looking at the D3X, but I've seen reviews that read that it's good for landscape and such.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

P.S. And yes, I'm investing in a wireless system, too. Learned the error of my ways. :(

If you can afford that hefty price tag then that is the ideal body for that type of work. Are you going to throw down about $5000 - $10,000 on glass as well?

If you buy the D3X i hope you have top of the range lenses because if you don't it's a waste of money

How about a d90. The picture will look the same in a studio setting....

Hi all-

I'm upgrading from my D70, after my camera crashed to the floor during a shoot (damn sync cord!). What would be your recs for a good Nikon used primarily for portraits and fashion? I want to make an investment now and not have to upgrade in a year. I'm looking at the D3X, but I've seen reviews that read that it's good for landscape and such.

P.S. And yes, I'm investing in a wireless system, too. Learned the error of my ways. :(

So you are wanting to upgrade?

Go with this
Canon | EOS 50D SLR Digital Camera (Camera Body) | 2807B006

/runs

Hi all-

So you are wanting to upgrade?

Go with this
Canon | EOS 50D SLR Digital Camera (Camera Body) | 2807B006

/runs

So for someone who has a nikon kit but needs a new body a canon body is recommended.

good call

Gripped D700 + some good glass?

Yup, I'd second that...D700 with grip, handy for shooting all those fashion "talls", and two top-line zoom lenses, like the new 70-200 V-II and the 24-70 AF-S, plus the 85mm 1.4 AF-D, and you've got a good starter kit.

For portraits and fashion the D3X is probably the best 135 format camera available today.

Go look at the May entry of Yuri Arcurs www.arcurs.com for some D3X testing info.

For fashion type photography I don't know why anyone would recommend a 12mp D700/D3s when a D3x is affordable for the user. It's hands down the better choice.

For fashion type photography I don't know why anyone would recommend a 12mp D700/D3s when a D3x is affordable for the user. It's hands down the better choice.

User moving from D70 to D3x.....hmmm.

What difference does that make? You can make an assumption that because they are using an entry level camera their skill isn't up to par... but you know as well as I do that isn't necessarily the case. There are lots of photographers with entry level cameras that produce amazing work and if they had a D3x in their hands it could fully unleash their potential. The concepts are the same whether you're shooting with a D40 or a D3x.

What difference does that make? You can make an assumption that because they are using an entry level camera their skill isn't up to par... but you know as well as I do that isn't necessarily the case. There are lots of photographers with entry level cameras that produce amazing work and if they had a D3x in their hands it could fully unleash their potential. The concepts are the same whether you're shooting with a D40 or a D3x.

I am familiar with the poster's general background and experience level.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/beyond-basics/159041-im-embarrassed-admit.html

I would suggest that she's not quite ready to unleash the potential of a Nikon D3x until she has much more experience, and a whole studio full of lighting and light modifiers and a few more years' worth of experience. For the price difference between a D700 and a D3x, she could purchase a very capable lighting kit, which is needed in portraiture/fashion work. I understand your sentiment itznfb, but my recommendation was actually tailored to the specific,individual poster's situation and experience level. In terms of ROI, a D3x would be a horrible choice.

I am familiar with the poster's general background and experience level.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/beyond-basics/159041-im-embarrassed-admit.html

I would suggest that she's not quite ready to unleash the potential of a Nikon D3x until she has much more experience, and a whole studio full of lighting and light modifiers and a few more years' worth of experience. For the price difference between a D700 and a D3x, she could purchase a very capable lighting kit, which is needed in portraiture/fashion work. I understand your sentiment itznfb, but my recommendation was actually tailored to the specific,individual poster's situation and experience level. In terms of ROI, a D3x would be a horrible choice.

Well, that was 11 months ago. When I think back to when I was first starting with photography and when I first started to grasp the concepts really well the amount I progressed in a year was well beyond enough to make good use of a D3x. And again, if they aren't looking for the highest ROI.... then why not blow your money on the best gear? That D3x will probably last her 10 years.... or 2 years until she wants the D4x.

From a profitability standpoint with cost being a concern it probably wouldn't be the best option.... you could get a used H2D or something for less.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back