Upgrading D90 to D7000 for better video?

ulrichsd

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I lost my camcorder on vacation (a $300 panasonic 1080 HD single sensor). :( I'm usually pretty good taking care of and keeping track of my stuff, but with 2 kids and all the kids stuff it must have gotten left somewhere. I called the 2 hotels we stayed at, but of course nothing. I don't really like traveling with both a DSLR and a camcorder, so I'm looking to go with a DSLR that can do pictures and video, so I don't have to lug around two devices + lenses.

So, I'm curious if anyone has experience with the video of any of these cameras. While I'm very happy with the pictures my D90 produces, the D90 video (720p, strobing video, no autofocus) is a little lacking. I was wondering if the D7000 (1080p) is significantly better as selling my D90 would be about the same for another camcorder vs a refurbished D7000. Plus the other benefits of the D7000, higher fps, higher resolution, better high ISO, double SD slots. Not a huge video user, but every year for my daughters birthday I put together a 5 minute movie of their last year with both pictures and video.

Or I could just hold off for another year using the D90 and get a refurbished D7100 when it comes down in price if the D7100 has significantly better video than the D7000.

Thanks for any advice!
Scott

The video on the D7000 isn't bad... There are quite a few YouTube D7000 reviews that deal with video you can watch. And your right.. its better then packing around 2 devices.

The D90 was the first DSLR to have video.
No one knew how video in a DSLR would be received.

It turned out to be way more popular than the camera makers first anticipated.

Consequently, the video capabilities of DSLRs has expanded greatly.
The D700o embodies those expanded capabilities.

However. DSLRs lack some of the features most video camcorders have so you will need to buy some video accessories if you want to make high quality video using a DSLR.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I don't need professional results, but I did watch some youtube video and the biggest drawback is the shaky footage when handheld. I think the in-camera stabilization on the hand-held camcorders makes a huge difference. It looks like Minolta got it right with their in camera satbilization on their new Dslrs. I have way much tied up in Nikon lenses to change though :) I'll probably just play with my D90 to see if I can make it work, but for $300 extra I guess I can't go wrong upgrading to the D7000 given all the extras for sill photography. When I showed my wife saw a clip from the D90 of our daughter running, with the shakiness, strobing, out-of-focus, overexposed (shooting into the sun) results her comment was "looks like film from the 60s". Its tough shooting conditions, but where all the auto-mode of a handhelp excels for family on-the-fly footage.

Thanks!
Scott

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I don't need professional results, but I did watch some youtube video and the biggest drawback is the shaky footage when handheld. I think the in-camera stabilization on the hand-held camcorders makes a huge difference. It looks like Minolta got it right with their in camera satbilization on their new Dslrs. I have way much tied up in Nikon lenses to change though :) I'll probably just play with my D90 to see if I can make it work, but for $300 extra I guess I can't go wrong upgrading to the D7000 given all the extras for sill photography. When I showed my wife saw a clip from the D90 of our daughter running, with the shakiness, strobing, out-of-focus, overexposed (shooting into the sun) results her comment was "looks like film from the 60s". Its tough shooting conditions, but where all the auto-mode of a handhelp excels for family on-the-fly footage.

Thanks!
Scott

Most of the issues you mention can be corrected somewhat. When you say you are seeing strobing, I am assuming that you are shooting in 1080i? If so, the interlacing is normally attributed to creating strobing, so by reducing the size down to 720p with no interlacing there may be a reduction in the strobing that you see.

As for overexposure and out of focus shots, that just comes down to practice with using manual focus and the exposure lock button on the d90. You could also use filters. Shakiness can be corrected in post using a 'warp stabilizer' engine.

If you were really serious about reducing camera shake, you could get yourself a steadicam, (Amazon.com: Opteka SteadyVid PRO Video Stabilizer System for Digital Cameras, Camcorders and DSLR's: Camera & Photo) or even build one yourself for a little more than $15. They will give you a much smoother and more dynamic shot than just going handheld...

I agree that you cant go wrong upgrading to the D7000, but in the end it comes down to what you are after... If you are after "on the go" video capabilities with as little hindrance as possible then maybe a camcorder is the option... But if you want better looking footage and, as you say, only needing to then carry around one body, then perhaps upgrading your DSLR and getting a steadicam is the way to go.

One thing worth noting for audio is that the D7100 has a built-in stereo mic. Which may help with sound quality a bit if you aren't going to be using an external microphone. Personally, if I were you, I wouldn't wait for the refurb of d7100 to come around. Rather get the D7000 and you will get the camera much sooner, at a cheaper price then the d7100 refurb and still get great looking footage if used correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Keith, does the in-lens stabilization run continuously during live/video mode? I feel like I don't hear the little whirring sound, but haven't paid too much attention.

Ryan, not sure I'm going to lug around a steadicam for kid videos, but I think you are correct a little practice and technique could definitely help. I do think that the camcorder is more "fool-proof" but I'm done hauling around the extra device and I think getting better with the DSLR video capabilities I'll get more comfortable and better results.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, D7000 ordered this morning!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back