Upgrading Equipment

Chelsealynn31

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've currently been using an Rebel XT since 2007. It's definitely been through plenty and it's time for an upgrade. I wanted to stay under 1500 but I'm not sure if I should stick with Canon or change to Nikon. I prefer photographing fashion and portraits. I'm just really stuck, I'd love to own a 5d, but that's just not in my price range at this point.

Any tips would be wonderful. :wink:

I went from an XSI to a 7D and love my choice. Nice ISO at 3200, awesome AF system, good fps, I can use all my lenses...

I would of loved a 5d as well, but it was out of my range.

What lenses do you have?

Right now just the kit 18-55 and a 35-80. I haven't used the kit lens since I purchased the other one. It does okay for portraits but still doesn't give me the results I'm trying to chase. So I'd be looking to upgrade to a some kind of lens decent for portraits as well.

yeah, lenses are a better investment, but your camera is pretty old.

A 7D and 50 f/1.8 or f/1.4 will go a looooong way in helping your portraiture :)

I've been looking at the 7d and so far it seems to be the right choice for me. Should I steer clear of buying used lenses and just opt to splurge on a new one?

If the price is under $100, I'll buy used lenses on eBay. But for anything over that, it's strictly Craigslist so that I can meet with the buyer and check out the lens for myself.

Right now just the kit 18-55 and a 35-80.
You are not too heavily invested in gear at the moment. Have you gone to a local camera shop and held other brands (say.... like Nikon) in your mitts? It might be worth the giggle and piece of mind.

The Dark Side awaits your eventual arrival......................... bwuhahahaha.

I'm not going to discourage you from investing in a new body since the XT is old and bodies have advanced a fair way since then - however I would suggest considering the following - based on your areas of interest:

1) Prime/better/L lenses - consider a glass upgrade - good glass will net you a bigger image quality improvement over what a camera body upgrade will give you.

2) Lighting gear - lighting really makes or breaks a shot, even with pro gear and increased limits if the lights not right the shot will suffer. In your target areas you've a lot of potential to have lighting control from small scale all the way to a studio setup. This again will make a big big different in the quality of your shots.

^ +1

The glass you have at this point won't do justice to a 7D. The problem here is $1500 won't get a 7D and the glass it needs, or an equivalent Nikon and good glass for it. Put the money into something along the lines of a Canon or Sigma 50mm 1.4 and some lighting gear. Your XT, though old, is still serviceable enough until you can save some more to upgrade the body, and a nice piece of glass will make a big difference with it. I shoot with a 50D, but still pull out my XT now and again. Good glass and lighting gear will breathe a little life back into it.

Staying within the OP's budget, how about the EOS 60D with a Speedlite 430EX II flash and a 50mm f/1.4 lens?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back