Upgrading existing PC for Photo and Video editing

Ballistics

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
I have a box sitting in my room with a burned out PSU so I need to replace that, and while shopping around I noticed that since my last build in 2007 (has it really been that long?!) the prices for parts has dropped dramatically.

Here is what the PC has right now.
Now granted this is a very dated system, and I was going to do a little upgrading for this upcoming semester in the fall, but how much upgrading? I'd let to keep the upgrading in the $450 range. Just want to use it strictly for multimedia editing.

Dump the old RAM and pick up a 4x2 set of ram for the MB. The MB says DDR2 800. Make sure to buy an 8GB set or two 4's if cheaper.
Try to find another used EVGA 8600 GT exactly like the one you have for Crossfire.
If you are planning on storing a lot of photos look into a 1GB+ HDD for storage. I prefer WD so stay with them if you like the one you have.

You did not list your Processor so, if it is dated try getting the fastest one that will fit in your MB. $450 is a good range. I have built whole computers including a monitor for about that built for gaming. You can check a website System Builder Marathon, June 2011: $500 Gaming PC : Entry-Level Sandy Bridge for an idea of some great bang for the buck. However, if you are just upgrading you wont be able to use much of that because of the newer technology used.

hey as mentioned before you didnt list your CPU.

my recommendation is as follows, the C2Q generation of CPUs while inferior to first-gen i7s and even more so when compared to the second-gen of 7s (sandy bridge) they are no slouch - i'd simply upgrade your CPU and RAM (go for both at the same time). the C2Qs hold their own. even today. they're solid performers benchmarks aside. however for video editing, the rendering of the vids could def benefit from a sandy bridge or first-gen i7 - that i really cannot deny. my friend does a lot of video editing and he uses a C2Q and doesn't affect his workflow negatively, not saying a faster chip wouldn't help, it always does.

at 500usd, I don't feel an i3 is better than a Q9xxx quad core that you can probably get for cheap and simply upgrade your current CPU. upgrade to 8GB of RAM, DDR2800 and you'll be fine. look for good performance DDR2800 from Corsair or Patriot (the brands i am familiar with and trust). as for CPU, see if you can find (ideally) a Q9650 (runs at 3.0 Ghz stock), otherwise Q9550, Q9450, Q9300. the real catch would be if you can get a QX6xxx or a QX9xxx...

with a C2Q you can look into getting a 9xxx or 2xx series Nvdia or a 4xxx series ATI card and not encounter any real bottlenecks. but as mentioned, the cheapest route is to SLI up your 8600. there are good options out there...

Last edited:
Sorry if this reply is a little late. I just upgraded and old Gateway I had for about $300. I changed out the mother board,processor, memory,DVD Burner and hard drive.Brand new computer for a huge savings! My new machine has no problems with video or picture editing. I also run dual monitors.And with your 450 budget you can go up a few steps from mine and get a better processor or video card.

Before:
Pentium 4
1gb Ram
100GB HD
EVGA 9500Gt video card.

After:
Intel Core i3-2100,
8gb Ram,
500gb HD
EVGA 9500 GT video card

Most reactions

New Topics