What's new

Upgrading from D40 to D5000 a good idea?

Darkhunter139

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 27, 2009
Messages
768
Reaction score
3
Location
Valley Forge, PA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been thinking about upgrading my body for a while now and I think its finally time, I basically want more MP and better ISO performance. I know the D5100 just came out but adorama is selling refurbished D5000's for $499 with the kit lens which seems like a pretty solid deal. Is the D5000 worth the upgrade over the D40 or would it be better to hold out and try to find a used D90, or possibly a D5100 later down the road?
 
Usually many that want to upgrade want a more feature rich camera. For me it was a lack of controls and features on my D40.

And now with my D90 addresses those issues. And for me it was MORE than just better sensor performance. As many strive for it but few I see actually use the 1600-3200 on a constant enough basis to give it such a high priority to base upgrade decision on. There are many other reasons that are just as important or equal weight in the decision. At least it was for me.

D90 features over D40/D60. And removed advantages that don't apply to newer cams.

1) Now AF and AF-D lenses will autofocus.
2) Bigger & Brighter viewfinder with illuminated grid.

5) Dedicated controls and buttons for Focus mode AF-S AF-C,Also button for Single-Continuous-wireless remote selection. ISO,WB,DoF buttons Metering Pattern.
6) Top LCD for seeing all settings at a glance.
7) Two thumbwheels controls for quick changing aperture and shutter.
8) dedicated button to see ISO setting in viewfinder.
9) CLS Flash commander mode for wireless controlling your flashes.
10) Auto Bracketing
11) True Battery grip with controls for vertical shots with extended battery use.
12) High ISO on the D90 is a great improvement that allows me another stop for those lower-light handheld situations. Every little bit helps.
13) Dynamic Range - The D90 gives about 1EV of additional range.
14) 3" lcd display - For these old eyes I need all the help I can get. And blurry out of focus shots I can see without zooming to delete.
15) ISO displayed in viewfinder also can change ISO on the fly with the sub-command wheel.

17) D-Lighting - Improvements there also.
18) 3D tracking - Lock on subject and during recomposing the AF Point will change to keep subject focused. Great for motion tracking?

20) Info Button - Now can get quick Top Lcd readings on back LCD with built-in changing of D-lighting,High noise NR,Picture adjustment,Function button assignment,etc.
21) Picture preview - When reviewing picture tap up once and all picture settings and exposure info displayed with small histogram all laid out in nice easy format to read.
22) Frame rate - D90 gives 50% more at 4.5fps the D40 3fps.

Many that become serious. Became frustrated with the entry level camera like the D40 within 3-9 months. I got frustrated with lack of controls and features. And those make for a more enjoyable and less frustrating experience.
.
 
Last edited:
I would look for a good used D90 myself.

The D90 has a pentaprism viewfinder. The D5000/D5100 have pentamirror viewfinders.

The D90 has 2 command wheels and a top LCD. the D5000/D5100 have only 1 command wheel and no top LCD.

The D90 has flash Commande mode, the D5000/D5100 do not.
 
+1

The D90 will focus a lot more lenses too. Not only the ones with "motors" built in.
 
That is really a non-issue, and no, it's not really "a lot more lenses". Notice neither orb9220 or I even mention it.

Few can afford the AF lenses that don't have a focus motor in them save 2 of them - the $135 AF 50 mm f/1.8D and the AF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6G $175 CPOS zoom lens. Most of the rest of the AF (no focus motor in them) lenses are more than $400 and the many of the really good AF (not Af-S) lenses are well over $1000

Everything else they will consider buying are AF-S lenses.
 
Last edited:
That is really a non-issue.

Few can afford the AF lenses that don't have a focus motor in them save 2 of them - the $135 AF 50 mm f/1.8D and the AF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6G $175 CPOS zoom lens.

Everything else they will consider buying are AF-S lenses.

You're right but in my rare case it was a huge issue that my D5000 wouldn't focus my Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. Sure I manually focused it, but it got old. Then I thought about other lenses such as the 80-200....Glad I went to the D7000 and a D90 would've been fine too.
 
Hmm thanks guys I will try and go with the D90. If I decide I can't spend that much do you think the D5000 would still be a good upgrade?
 
That is really a non-issue, and no, it's not really "a lot more lenses". Notice neither orb9220 or I even mention it.

Few can afford the AF lenses that don't have a focus motor in them save 2 of them - the $135 AF 50 mm f/1.8D and the AF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6G $175 CPOS zoom lens. Most of the rest of the AF (no focus motor in them) lenses are more than $400 and the many of the really good AF (not Af-S) lenses are well over $1000

Everything else they will consider buying are AF-S lenses.
I would have mentioned it, but I got here late. The D90 will focus a lot more lenses than a D5000.

It's not necessarily about the 50mm 1.8 for a hundred bucks. It's more about the 35-70 2.8 for $300 vs $1700 for the 24-70 2.8...or the 80-200 2.8 for around $650 vs the 70-200 2.8 for $2000+.

If you have never used some of the 'out of date' pro lenses, you sure are missing out on some great deals. Not all of us can spend $4k on the newest top of the line lenses. For some of us, spending $1000 on yesterday's top of the line lenses is good enough and an option that we like to have available to us.
 
D5000 is a very good camera. But the big shortage of D5000 is the lack of built-in focus motor. You will face limits on lens selection. Many high quality classic Nikon lenses will not work on D5000 for auto-focus. Then the money you saved on body will pay back on lenses. Recommend D90 for limited budget.

Nikon D90 + market price

Nikon D5000 + market price
 
I already have a few af-s lenses that I like so the auto focus motor is not a huge deal for me. I really only plan on getting one more lens in the near future and I already have it picked out.
 
I already have a few af-s lenses that I like so the auto focus motor is not a huge deal for me. I really only plan on getting one more lens in the near future and I already have it picked out.

How about off camera flash?
 
I already have a few af-s lenses that I like so the auto focus motor is not a huge deal for me. I really only plan on getting one more lens in the near future and I already have it picked out.

How about off camera flash?

Already have a few with triggers that I think will work on the D5000 so that's not a huge deal either.
 
I already have a few af-s lenses that I like so the auto focus motor is not a huge deal for me. I really only plan on getting one more lens in the near future and I already have it picked out.

How about off camera flash?

Already have a few with triggers that I think will work on the D5000 so that's not a huge deal either.

In that case, you may be one of the few who have posted on here where you will be able to do most of what a D90 can do with a D5000 at no additional cost.

For me though, after having that top LCD and the dual control wheels, I couldn't imagine going backwards.

Best of luck to you on your decision. Doesn't sound like you can make a bad choice on this one.
 
The top LCD and dual control wheels are what make me really want the D90 but I think I could do without them...I will probably just keep on the lookout for a good deal on the D90 for a while and if I can't find one I will settle for the D5000.

Thanks for the help though!
 
Well used the D90 is around $200 more than a used D5000. But you get so much more options,features and abilities to grow into for that difference. And will more than make up for the difference in giving more flexibility and options. For me it was lack of and working around limitations of entry cameras. And frustration of missed shots or not getting a shot due to a lack of something that I found the D90 gave me. But hey if the D5000 fits your needs then go for it. As there isn't just one choice that fits all here.
.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom