Upgrading kit lens

herky873

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i am wanting to upgrade my kit lens but I am having a hard time deciding. I have a crop sensor canon now but I'm not sure I want a crop sensor lens in case I upgrade to full frame. I shoot landscape and portrait. I am looking at the 17-40 l, the sigma 17-50 and the 17-70. But I'm open to any ideas. There are just so many lenses it's hard to keep up w it all. Thanks.

Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC

I was wanting to go wider for landscapes but I'm wondering if I should just invest in a wider lens separately.

24-70 is decent for both landscapes and portraits. tokina 11-16 is famous for wide angle landscapes if you want wider on apsc. what's your budget?

You need also to consider how fast your lens is especially on Canon cameras which currently their sensors aint shining in low light.
The 24-70mm 2.8 is not a classic wide angle lens, its more of a general use lens, on FF it is reasonable for landscape but on crop sensor less.
Still this is a lens to consider simply because it brings so much to the table, worth considering.
Over 90% of my photography is done with this focal range both on crop sensor and FF.

I think it depends on what you want, if you want more of the landscape you'll need wider lens. But it has it's pros and cons from what I've read, not a landscaper, not yet anyway! Looking at your work, I couldn't see any such pics which would have needed a wider angle. Of course that doesn't mean you won't need that in the future.
All I can say is tokina 11-16 is as good as it gets for less than 1000 bucks on apsc if you want wide angle, but won't work on FF if you upgrade(works at 16mm though).
I am in a similar boat as you are, in a way that I want a real wide angle lens but something that's good for portraits as well. I can tell you what I would have done( I do a lot of planning, whether I execute it is a different story :lol: ), I'd get the tokina 11-16 or a samyang 24mm 1.4 for the landscapes and night photography, and get a portrait lens like 50mm 1.8 or 85 1.8.. or even a used 105mm f2.8 separately preferably used.

There are too many choices for anyone to choose for you.

There are a ton of choices and I'm having a hard time deciding. I have the 50 1.8. It seems like if I had a full frame camera I wouldnt have this issue. Just don't want to fork over the money for it right now.

I'm not being smart but firstly, why do you want full frame, what does your current camera not do for you.

It seems many just want full frame with no real reason, just because they read it's better. If you definitely are going full frame and have a valid reason it might be an idea to buy lenses that work on ff, but if not you can buy cheaper, smaller better focal lengths for your current set up?

Also, what is your kit lens lacking?. If you answer these you'll get better advice.

I guess i thought colors were better and photos were sharper in full frame. Is that true or no.

Full frame has benefits. Crop has as well. There are about 10 million debates on that. You're camera is likely great, even pros use crop, full frame isn't the be all, end all

What camera do you have, what kit lens do you have. What do you like shooting mainly and where do you ser your equipment could be better?

I have the sl1. I think it's a good camera. I use the 18-55 stm lens the most. I shoot mostly landscape photos and family stuff.

I'm asking where you find your gear lacking, without that info all people can do is recommend good lenses or a good camera. That might not necessarily be good for your needs

If you don't want to tell us that's ok :)

Oh sorry I didn't read it close enough. It doesn't seem that my photos are as sharp as some that I have seen. I figured it was just the kit lens and that it could be remedied by a better lens. Maybe the kit lens is fine. I'm not sure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back