Upgrading to a DSLR

Shaisgs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey,
I bought a Canon SX210 several months ago. The long lens has given me the chance to take a broad amount of photos, pictures I couldn't take with my previous Canon SD850 or Nikon 5900. The camera reignited my passion for photography and although it brought me up to a new level, I found myself thirsty for more.

Therefore, I would like to ask for your advice. I would like to know if it is worth upgrading to a DSLR.

My main concerns are:
1. A DSLR is big and bulky. How would I carry it around? I like to have my camera in my pocket and pull it out when I have to. How could I ever achieve that with a DSLR?

2. Cost. I just bought the SX210 for 350$. If a I go DSLR I'd buy the Canon t1i and spend all together close to 1000$. Is it really worth spending all that money? I might be too afraid to walk around with the expensive DSLR.

3. Secondary camera. How important is it to have a compact camera along with the DSLR? Is it worth keeping the SX210 or selling it and going cheaper? What if I still find myself using the P&S just because the DSLR is so much bigger?
These are my pre-DSLR dilemmas.

I'd love to hear thoughts and experiences
emoticon-smile.gif

Thanks

Only you can come up with an answer on this one...

The reasons I upgraded from a Fuji finepix to a Rebel..
1) needed more control over where the camera was focusing
2) experiment with shallow DOF
3) had desire to take longer exposures
4) the delay in pressing the shutter button and when the shutter actually opened was KILLING me on the Fuji.

After upgrading I realized how important good, fast glass is.
I also realized how many possibilities an off-camera flash can give you.
I've spent way too much money on a hobby I don't always have the time for.
I don't regret it.

Just my personal story.

Also, consider the D90 - try a few different cameras before purchasing. I preordered the T2i without even holding a DSLR before. Probably a bad idea, thankfully I'm happy with it. I've since tried a D3000, D5000 and Canon 50D. The 50D body is bigger, with a much better viewfinder and is a little bit easier to control manually (than a Rebel).

Do some research before dropping that kind of money.
Hope I helped somehow

First off DSLR is not meant to be carry around in the pocket. So if you want a DSLR, you have to deal with the fact that it's big and not compact. There are many ways to carry yours. It usually comes with a neck strap so you can put the strap over you neck/shoulder and carry it. Or you can use a camera bag to keep all your lens, camera, and all the extra goodies or even a backpack if you have something to put the camera in to protect it.

If you're going to spend close to 1,000 then I would recommend getting a used D90, T2i. Or get the t1i used and save that money for good lens because you'll need it. Best route? Is your budget 1000 max? If it is, get the t1i used and get a good lens. Do not buy the starter kit with the lens, just get the body and use the money towards good lens. There are people walking around with 4k or + camera and they are fine. If you're unlucky then you're unlucky, you can't worry about it. Today I was walking around and a few homeless people called me over to talk. I came over and they asked me some question why I take photo and stuff. I talked with them and they ask me to take some photos of them. I wasn't scared, it's life and enjoy it. Worst things happen all the times to good people who don't expect it then for me to worry about a damn camera. Yes it will burn a deep hole in my heart if someone steal it but no point in me worry every second. I'm not that type of person.

It's up to you how important it is to have a portable camera. I don't think it's worth selling yours because you do enjoy portability. You certainly don't want to walk into the club with friends and have a DSLR on your neck. I still kept my cheap camera from 5 years ago. I think it's important to have a portable camera because you never know when you'll need it. You certainly don't want to bring or put a DSLR in the car whenever you go. I use the iPhone when I don't have my DSLR. So if you have a phone with a camera, then no need for a portable camera that much.

1. You won't.

2. Okay.

3. Yes.

There are a host of small camera bags which will hold a DSLR, second lens and a couple of small accessories. You can get backpack-styles, messenger-bag styles, purse-styles... Yes, a DSLR is more expensive than a mid-range P&S, BUT the flexibility it gives you will make up for that. If you're going to worry about being robbed, well, you should probably leave your watch, wallet and spare change at home too. Sure there's a risk, but if you're going to get robbed, they'll probably take your P&S too.

It sounds to me like you're perhaps not qutie ready to make the jump. You're 'thirsty for more' but what more that your P&S can't give you? Sit down and examine your photography, and where you want to go with it. What do you want to do, or think you will want to do in the near future that you can't do with your current camera. Then figure out if being able to do that is worth the cost of the uprgrade.

Good luck!

1. there are some slings out there that go across like a laptop bag strap i think its sniper something and depending on the situation and the subject sometimes it is worth having the bigger dslr compaired to a p&s

2. It is definately worth the money. Right now I have the canon powershot sx10 i bought it around a year or so ago and at the time i thought i should be golden with that but now I'm running into things with it that are stoping me from taking really great shots and have bought the t1i but its in the states waiting for me.

3. I'm not quite sure about the whole second camera I'm sure its pretty important though because of the different lenses I plan on keeping my powershot sx10 as the secondary say if I'm taking pics for a friend at a wedding just to play with it and see how it goes.

as a side note I'm still very new and still have a little over a month left of my deployment so i haven't been able to get down and take some great pictures so the advice i give is just based on stuff I have learned from being on the forum

1. A DSLR is big and bulky. How would I carry it around? I like to have my camera in my pocket and pull it out when I have to. How could I ever achieve that with a DSLR?

Unfortunately, this is the drawback, but once you start shooting with it you won't mind it in the least bit.

As someone suggested, I have a sling-type camera bag big enough for a 580ex-sized flash, three lenses (two and the one on the body), and filters for each of them (in addition to the body + camera).

Lowepro SlingShot 202 AW
- I love this thing. You put it on and off with your left hand and anytime you need your camera you swing it under your left arm and it sits across your stomach. Excellent for quick access and great to rest your elbow on for support when you need it.

2. Cost. I just bought the SX210 for 350$. If a I go DSLR I'd buy the Canon t1i and spend all together close to 1000$. Is it really worth spending all that money? I might be too afraid to walk around with the expensive DSLR.

Short Answer: Hell Yes :p

It's tough for a beginner to DSRLs to place a lot more weight on the lenses and not the body but its the way to go. Look into some good lense ranges and perhaps a prime to learn/experiment with. I personally suggest something in a wide to midrange zoom (ex. Canon EF-S 18-55mm ~170$) and something a little longer (ex. Canon EF 70-300mm ~530$) and then the prime (ex. Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 ~100$) Unfortunately you're at ~800$ already so that leaves less room in your budget for your body, perhaps look into a lightly used previous Rebel model or hold off on the prime? I dunno tough call there.

3. Secondary camera. How important is it to have a compact camera along with the DSLR? Is it worth keeping the SX210 or selling it and going cheaper? What if I still find myself using the P&S just because the DSLR is so much bigger?

Prior to having my first Digital SRL (Rebel XTi) I used a Canon Digital Elf I think model SD1000. I can't remember because while I carried it around for over a year in a P&S pouch on the SlingShot strap (another feature you may like about the bag) I never used it, so I passed it on to my younger sister. I believe you'll find once you experience the control and quality of your D-SLR you will not be happy or satisfied with the P&S in 99% of situations.
[so you can sell it and up your budget above 1,000$ :D]

I hope this helped your process and wasn't a waste of time.

P.S. Feel free to make me an offer on my 202AW bag because I'm buying my first L-series glass soon and should upgrade to the 302AW :p

Prior to having my first Digital SRL (Rebel XTi) I used a Canon Digital Elf I think model SD1000. I can't remember because while I carried it around for over a year in a P&S pouch on the SlingShot strap (another feature you may like about the bag) I never used it, so I passed it on to my younger sister. I believe you'll find once you experience the control and quality of your D-SLR you will not be happy or satisfied with the P&S in 99% of situations.
I have to disagree here. If you are on vacation with only your DSLR, what happens if it conks out? Or you screwed up and forgot to bring the battery charger? Or you're going someplace that you want to remember but not take artistic photos of? Or you're going somewhere/doing something and you don't want to carry a bulky camera? I agree that the P&S won't ever be as satisfying as your DSLR but that's not the point of having it as a backup.

1. You'll get used to it and soon appreciate the benefits enough that you won't mind the weight.

2. Consider used, at least for the start. I got a Rebel XT and lens for less than you paid for the P&S. And I've since had photos published in web and print media, so I can argue that you don't need the latest and greatest.

3. Keep the P&S. There will be sometimes that you just won't be able to carry the DSLR.

1) yes they are bulkier than a P&S but as was mentioned - you get used to it. You can carry it in a bag, use the neckstrap and sling it over neck or neck/shoulder or they have a little longer straps that can hang around yor waist.

2) It all depends if you enjoy nicer photos. My sister in law just went out and bought a P&S instead of using her husband's full fraim DSLR even though it can be a big P&S; to her it doesn't matter. Personally, I got rid of my Nikon neckstrap for the reason of it screamed NIKON in bright yellow - too attention grabbing IMO.

3) You have it so why not keep it. I have a few cheap P&S around and I recently went on vacation and didn't bring them. I wanted to but I am the only one in my family who enjoys photography and I heard "why did we buy that camera for if your not going to take it everywhere". I went to a few beaches that didn't require a DSLR and I left it on a chair as I went into the water - something to consider as family photos may not require what a DSLR can do.

I have to disagree here. If you are on vacation with only your DSLR, what happens if it conks out? Or you screwed up and forgot to bring the battery charger? Or you're going someplace that you want to remember but not take artistic photos of? Or you're going somewhere/doing something and you don't want to carry a bulky camera? I agree that the P&S won't ever be as satisfying as your DSLR but that's not the point of having it as a backup.

eh, you make valid points but in my experience it just hasn't been the case. first of all if i were somewhere and my DSLR conk'd out, vacation would be over and i wouldn't want to remember it in the least bit :p

but yeah, i get what you're saying but after over a year of carrying it around for such an occasion i realized its to awesome of a little camera to get no action, so i passed it along. thus far i've never been in a situation where i've regretted not having it, but there's always a first time so we'll see.

in my personal experience putting up with the bulk has never outweighed the benefits, i've only run into situations where interchangeable lens cameras aren't allowed in venus etc, but then again we're all walking around with ~5mp cameras in our pockets (cellphones) if we were in a bind to take a picture to remember the moment.

again, valid points not dismissing them just sharing my experience over the last 6-7 years i've owned a DSLR

eh, you make valid points but in my experience it just hasn't been the case. first of all if i were somewhere and my DSLR conk'd out, vacation would be over and i wouldn't want to remember it in the least bit :p

but yeah, i get what you're saying but after over a year of carrying it around for such an occasion i realized its to awesome of a little camera to get no action, so i passed it along. thus far i've never been in a situation where i've regretted not having it, but there's always a first time so we'll see.

in my personal experience putting up with the bulk has never outweighed the benefits, i've only run into situations where interchangeable lens cameras aren't allowed in venus etc, but then again we're all walking around with ~5mp cameras in our pockets (cellphones) if we were in a bind to take a picture to remember the moment.

again, valid points not dismissing them just sharing my experience over the last 6-7 years i've owned a DSLR
Different strokes for different folks :mrgreen:

I have a Canon S90 as my secondary P&S and I love it. It's roughly the same size as your SX210, takes arguably better photos, has full manual control, a fast lens, and it shoots in RAW so I can still do some PP. It's a great backup / family vacation walkaround camera. We went to Myrtle Beach a few weeks ago and I had the S90 in my pocket nearly the entire time. Got pictures of the family out to dinner, at putt putt, etc, that I wouldn't have gotten had I only had the dSLR. In fact I'm finding that I take the S90 with me nearly everywhere I go now.

Most reactions

Back