Used D700 vs New D610

So if you ever think about using video or have used it in your current camera, the d700 lack video.

I'd gladly give up video to have our current sensor/processor with all the additional features khm listed that the D700 has... But I guess that just means buying the D800 and spending twice as much.

Went and got the D610 it will be here Wednesday,thanks for all the comments and help............

and you're selling your d7100 I see
You'll feel at home on the d610 button location-wise, just it's slightly bigger and heavier

So if you ever think about using video or have used it in your current camera, the d700 lack video.

I'd gladly give up video to have our current sensor/processor with all the additional features khm listed that the D700 has... But I guess that just means buying the D800 and spending twice as much.

I use video enough where it is needed. Kids in sports, concerts etc where sound and motion is better for the kids to see themselves in.
with the d700, I'd have had to bring 2 cameras

Be prepared to have your world rocked when you see how different lenses perform in shorter-distance situations (meaning anything inside of 40 feet). If you have a 50mm lens, it's just been given a whole new lease on life indoors.

Be prepared to have your world rocked when you see how different lenses perform in shorter-distance situations (meaning anything inside of 40 feet). If you have a 50mm lens, it's just been given a whole new lease on life indoors.

yup, I love my d600 indoors.
the d7000 is now my "outside" sports camera

Not being able to see another MORE THAN two f/stops' worth of dynamic range?
Erm...

Not disagreeing with your overall conclusion, Derrel, but this part stands out as a bit silly.
1) It's only 2 stops higher at ISO 100. Even at ISO 200, it's already down to only about 1.3 stop better and by 400, more like 1/2 a stop. Suggesting that the D610 is just in general 2 stops better is very misleading.
2) The difference is between 12 and 14 stops, and the great majority of scenes we shoot have less than 13 stops of dynamic range, so in most cases, no you in fact cannot see the difference, because both capture all that is needed! An overcast day is usually like 3-5 stops of range. A sunny day with cast shadows (say, 3PM) is about 7 stops of range usually. Even snow and sand contrasted with dark water or rocks on a sunny day is unlikely to get above 12. 14 stops of dynamic range is only relevant in extreme circumstances like fully backlit sunsets or like a dark room with only a single window that you want to see details through, etc.

And when you combine #1 and #2 it's even more narrowly relevant. For example, it's pretty unlikely that you would be shooting at ISO 100 in that dark single window room. So if you're at 400 or something to get the dark details without blur, you wouldn't even HAVE the 2 stop advantage then when you needed it anyway... In the sunset example you may or may not have the advantage when you need it either, depending on your desired artistic aperture.

After a certain point, more dynamic range gets pretty useless. We could definitely still use improvements at the high ISO end, and at low, 14 is sometimes handy. But in the future, if/when we are looking at differences like 16 vs 18, it's going to become more and more irrelevant, and it's already getting there.

Last edited:
I thought my 7100 was great this thing is fantastic got it today...............

I'd have to agree w/ Gavjenks. DR is way overstated IMO. Especially when you consider "how" DR is being expanded... it's mostly additional stops "shoved into" the dark end which we have a hard time perceiving anyways.
As for IQ, pixel level detail doe snot equate directly to our perception of "sharpness." Sharpness is much more "contrast based" than it is detail based. It's kind of like a fine pen drawing or dot matrix print... more "detail" (individual dots) is there, but it doesn't come across as "sharper." In fact, the COC standard (arguably very outdated) only requires ~ 1MP of data...

There are many times I will choose my D4 over my D800...

Well I do own both D600 and D700. D600 is my favorite. Better colors, better halftones, higher DR, higher resolution = better overall image quality.
D700 has slightly better autofocus, but in most situations this advantage of D700 is small.

It was rocked Derrel just as you said,this camera is unreal...............

Most reactions

New Topics

Back