Useless Knowledge

Unimaxium said:
I have heard that one too. But I think you mean pints and quarts, which are measures of volume that beer often comes in.

Hehe, but I was close. Not bad for someone that has been metric for the last 20 years, and didnt really use the other system since he was to young at that point. :0)

GerryDavid said:
The f word supposedly comes from fornicating under consent of king. Back in those days you had to get the kings consent, or you would be in big trouble. Ive heard that this isnt actually true, but who knows.
The 'f' word is actually Anglo-Saxon in origin and was their word for having sex. When the Normans took over they supressed a lot of Saxon words and the like for a number of reasons (snobbery and oppression mainly). Hence the 'f' word became coarse language and the mark of an ill-bred person.
A lot of Saxon place names were bastardised too. Merdegrave meant a clearing in a forrest. The monks doing the Domesday book didn't like the use of 'merde' (French for sh*t) so they changed it to 'belle' meaning 'beautiful'. We now have lots of places in England called Belgrave.

- What do you think about the missing of the spot meterign option in 350D? Any experiences?

- What does the A-DOF mode brings in 350D? Are you missing it in D70s?

- What are you missing in each cameras?

Errm there are an infinite number of colours in the rainbow. So it is there you just can't see it. he made it up becasue 7 was/is called a religious (christian) number.

GerryDavid said:
The tie has evolved into what it is today from a bib.

Speaking as someone who chooses his tie to match his lunch that makes perfect sense!

Daniel said:
he made it up becasue 7 was/is called a religious (christian) number.
He made it up because he was a bit of a Mystic and thought numbers to be magical. He also liked harmony - seven notes in a scale, seven planets (known at the time), and similar things - so he thought there should be seven colours.
And there are, in fact, no colours at all in a rainbow. Colours only exist in our visual cortex. ;)

Just a thought to put life and everything else into a little perspective:

There are so many stars in our galaxy (the Milky Way) that if they were grains of salt there would be enough to fill an Olympic sized swimming pool.

Makes you think, doesn't it?

Hertz van Rental said:
Just a thought to put life and everything else into a little perspective:

There are so many stars in our galaxy (the Milky Way) that if they were grains of salt there would be enough to fill an Olympic sized swimming pool.

Makes you think, doesn't it?

sure does.............................makes me feel small....well hey I guess that's good! small is good.....good things come in small packages....etc.

thomas jefferson and alexander hamilton both died on the same day, july 4 (forgot what year)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back