Using a flash question

sj022698

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I apologize that I'm posting so much. My camera broke and bought a new one and it came with my same lens, remote, teleconverter and a flash. The flash is a Quantaray QAF 6600 with Zoom Bounce. I've NEVER used a separate flash and I have very minimal camera skills. Per my other post, I mainly take close photos of food. However, the lighting in my house is TERRIBLE and I've even used a photo box/tent but still with issues. Using the 18-55mm lens I sometimes get way too bright with the flash. Will this be helpful? I'm assuming it would be as I can direct it other places than right on. Also, thinking this will help make up for the lack of light. Am I correct in these assumptions. On the back of it, it has ISO with the fstops below. Under that, it says 85 50 35. What is this? I'm going to download the manual for this and read up a bit but not going to waste my time if it's not going to help with my lighting, etc...

Sorry again for all the questions. This forum has always been awesome!

If you can post a pic or of what EXACTLY it says on the back of it, would really help.
If I understand correctly, I used to have similar chart on my vivitar. Based on ISO you're shooting at specific distance what f-stop you should be getting - AKA guide number.
It seems that you aren't familiar with your flash - try this - bounce it straight up (not 90* to the camera) but straight up into the ceiling. Let it bounce off and soften your light- you might like the results.
Good Luck

I would not use a flash to take pictures of still subjects such as food. Put the camera on a tripod and just use ambient light will produce far better results.

Lighting is an art form unto itself.

Professional food images use multiple lights and light modifiers.

There are books that explain how to do photographic lighting:

Light: Science and Magic. An Introduction To Photographic Lighting.

This is basic and there are other books that deal with specifics particularly portraiture.

Most reactions

Back