What's new

APS-C Lens for Shooting Indoors?

William Baroo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Aug 30, 2023
Messages
255
Reaction score
34
Location
FL
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got my self a Laowa 9mm zero-D lens for some reason or other, and yesterday, I used it indoors just to get a feel for it. I took a few shots of my little son.

Right away, I felt I had been missing out. This is a 2.8 lens, so I was able to get some shots I would have missed with a slower lens. I suppose I could use flash, but by the time I get that right, my son could be applying for Medicare. If I keep a fast prime on the camera by default, I may be able to catch some good scenes.

I feel I should pick up one or more fast, sharp lenses that are a little less wide than the 9mm. I see Sigma has a range of 1.4 lenses people seem to like.

What's a good next addition to the stable? I would like something a bit wide, since I'll be indoors, but not this-house-sure-looked-bigger-on-Zillow wide.

I was surprised to see how much DOF I got with the 9mm.
 
I got out my 18-135mm and took some shots at approximately 25mm and 35mm. It seemed to me that the tighter shots were a little claustrophobic, so I am inclined to try a lens in the 20-25mm range.
 
For my Nikon I picked up a DX 10-24 a few years ago when B&H had a half-price sale. It was still 500 bucks! Not a 2.8, but at 10mm it's 3.5. They're out there used for under $250. It's a great lens for interiors when you want the environment in the frame. Not sure what's comparable for other cameras.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom