Using a Nikon D5100 and wanting a flash! Which one?

ClarkKent18

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok so I am using a Nikon D5100 for about 9 months and I am still loving it. I am shooting indoor sporting events, street walking, and I am starting learn more. Right now the lens I am finding my self using the most is the 18-200 3.5-5.6 nikkor lens. I am tired or the little pop up flash and I want something more powerful. I have the money to get the SB-910, but will it work for my camera on and off body? I am still new to the DSLR world and I am still leaning with every shot that I take. For a newbie, is this flash going to be to much for me, or will the camera control that flash. I am still playing around to get off auto mode and get into a priority mode.

Any advice is welcome please.

The SB-910 will work fine on camera.. as will any of the Nikon OEM flashes. The OEMs typically have far better build quality and compatibility than the third party flashes. The Nikon D5100 lacks the CLS Commander mode... so you will not be able to use the 910 off camera except as a Optical manual slave (No TTL)! You can control another OEM off camera with a commander mode capable flash on the body... or with an SU-800 (which is a commander unit with no flash!). You could use a hotshoe mounted cord to get the flash off camera. You could also get a hotshoe mounted sync cord adapter and a synce cord.

Hope that helps

Superman,
The SB-700 is a very good flash, I use it as my key light with great results. if your into saving some money, you might want to look at
the YN560 from Yongnu. I picked one up to use as a fill light. I think it's amazing for $70. Let me repeat that, seventy bucks!

I bought myself the Nikon SB-700 speedlight camera flash I really like it works really well for me! I say go with the Nikon SB-700 it won't disappoint you.

Using an SB-700 for motorsports action photography.

My vote is for any OCF
bigthumb.gif

Thanks you guys, I ended up going for the SB-910 and I am loving it. Since I have not taken any photography classes just yet, I am still trying to learn everything about this flash. Like when I should use the diffusion dome vs the diffuser that is built into the flash. Plus all the other fun stuff that came with it. I know that I should try and work my way off auto, but that is what I am using until I have a better understanding of the flash first.

If you have any tips that you would like to chime in on, you are more then welcome. Thank you again!!

Most reactions

Back