The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
If you happen to have a concrete (as opposed to asphalt) driveway, you might have noticed that the inside of the garage is lit as if there was a huge soft-light, directional but diffuse light bouncing off of the concrete.
There is a similar effect if you are inside a building with very large windows on a day with a decent overcast. The light is contrasty and directional enough to give decent shadows and detail but not so bright that is blows out highlights and casts shadows into the dark pits of hell.

It is my Saturday morning habit to go to a bookstore then to this coffee shop. By 9 am the sun is up over the building and there is this 'garage' light. I sit at a high table and use the rear lcd on my Olympus, swiveled out and flat to sneak some pictures without alarming the patrons.

I did have to compress the dynamic range a bit and warm it a trifle.
Shot with Oly 5 and Panasonic 35-100 at iso 1250 1/250 f6.3 at 186 mm equiv.

p876076826-5.jpg

p576013293-5.jpg

Both are real nice. Good lighting is right.

I read a tip once regarding "photo walks" loosely quoted it said "find the light first, then the subject because without the right lighting you have no photograph" This posting reminded me of that valuable tip!

I like the second one here. Beautiful light of course! Is everyone off in their own little world nowadays?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back