Using off camera flash with wireless shutter release

shortstack

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi

I'm thinking of buying a Neewer TT850 flash and plan to use it to shoot interiors, and use the 'paint with light' technique championed by the likes of Mike Kelly. I'll be using the flash off camera using a FT-16 transmitter but I need to be able to fire each shot away from the camera whilst walking around with my flash.

As far as I understand, the transmitter will be mounted to the hot shoe so I'm not sure how I can release the shutter from the other side of the room. The FT-16 has a 25mm synch port and I can't find any wireless releases for these.

Hope someone has some ideas.

Thanks

Can you just use the self-timer or "a release" to open the shutter and lock it open, then fire the flash manually using the test button on the flash? This is called "open flash". The shutter is locked open, and the flash is fired by human action...works well on shutters that have NO flash synchronization system. In the 1980's I used this a good bit at night time; it works best in a DIM or DARK environment, and with the flash-popper people in dark clothes, and shielding the flash from accidentally illuminating their bodies if they fire from within the shot's framing area. I do not understand the need to use a transmitter, exactly, but maybe I am just being dense.

I don't have this exact combo, but I can tell you that I've used a Yongnuo 622C and 603C in tandem to do something like this. I mount the 622 first, since the 603 doesn't seem to want to pass ETTL signals through it, but the 603 works fine on top of the 622 -- either as a shutter trigger or a flash trigger or both.

$2013-10-27 17.15.39.jpg

it appears with that NEWER system you'd have to remotely trigger the camera directly, unless there's another sort of trigger they make that will engage the camera through the trasmitter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back