Using old (film) flash units with DSLRs?

iolair

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I'm awaiting my eBay Canon 20D, and wondering if it's possible to save a lot of money by using older flash units with it - units from film cameras. There are plenty around!

I'd want to use the flashes (at least two, which might be different), with some kind of cheap remote control kit, with the flashes off-camera on stands. Is this technically possible? Am I right in saying that a flash hotshoe, for basic connections, is universal? How far does the connection date back?

Last edited:
I use a c.1979-1980 flash unit with my XTi without issue. The cool thing is that it doesn't really know there is a flash, so I can use up to a 1/350 shutter speed ;)

It is okay to use any of them off-camera, off the DSLR hot shoe - but be very careful what you choose to use ON the hot shoe of your DSLR.

All your DSLR is, is a computer with a lens, and using a flash (even once) with excessive trigger voltages can damage circuits inside the camera.

Hot shoes are pretty universal. Sony/Minolta is a little different though.

The link above gives reported voltages for many flash units. But keep in mind that their save/not safe rating is for older (film) canon SLR cameras that were only rated for 6 volts. The Canon 20D is rated for 250 volts...so just about any flash should be save to use.

When using a radio remote trigger, you don't need to worry about the camera, but the remote receiver. I've never heard of anyone having a problem with trigger voltage on a remote though.

So yes, you can pretty much get any flash to use as an off-camera remote flash. I would suggest only getting flashes that have manual power adjustments though. I've got a box full of old flash units...some of them are great for this...others, while usable, are just not as convenient.

Thanks Mike,

It's only the PC-Sync connection on the 20D that can cope with 250 volts though. The hot shoe connection is limited to 6 V. (This according to the 20D manual downloaded from Canon's site).

I don't know how many flash units have the PC-Sync type connection on.

Don't all off-camera flashes have manual power adjustment ;-) (1-stop reduction? Pick up the flash and move it 40% further away. 2-stops? Pick up the flash and move it twice as far away).

Last edited:
It's the same circuit, as far as I know.

I'll have to read up on that.

On page 98 is says

*Also, do not connect to the camera's PC terminal any flash unit requiring 250 V or more

*Do not attach a high-voltage flash unit on the camera's hot shoe. It might not work
No mention of 6 volts there, and I can't find any other mention of flash trigger voltage.

If you go for something like a canon 540EZ they have all the bits you need for proper off-camera flash usage like manual power adjustment (up to 1/128) and zoom head. You can pick up dirt cheap usually just because they aren't E-TTL compatible.

On page 98 is says

*Also, do not connect to the camera's PC terminal any flash unit requiring 250 V or more

*Do not attach a high-voltage flash unit on the camera's hot shoe. It might not work
No mention of 6 volts there, and I can't find any other mention of flash trigger voltage.
Ooops, you're right... I guess I read the 6V hotshoe limit somewhere else.
(e.g. here -> Flash Photography with Canon EOS Cameras - Part II. )

Though as I said previously I want to use the flashes remotely, so they'd be with some breed of reciever anyway and not physically connected to the camera. It sounds like I'm home and free for that :)

Ooops, you're right... I guess I read the 6V hotshoe limit somewhere else.
(e.g. here -> Flash Photography with Canon EOS Cameras - Part II. )
They are talking about EOS film cameras.

Though as I said previously I want to use the flashes remotely, so they'd be with some breed of reciever anyway and not physically connected to the camera. It sounds like I'm home and free for that :)
Absolutely right :)

On the unlikely chance of resurrecting a 3 year old thread, I'd like to ask if the OP or anyone else has had any success using old flashes as remotes with new DSLR's.

I use a Nikon SB28 with my d5100. It works on automatic settings but not TTL. It all has to do with the trigger voltage. Some older flashes have a high trigger voltage that will fry the electronics in a DSLR. Make sure the one you are wanting to use has a safe trigger voltage for your camera.

Most reactions

Back