Using the flash for lighting without camera

akazoly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Is possible to use a flash without camera for continuous lighting ?
I have some old flashes and I need a good light, something around 5000-6000K.

Is possible to remove the bulb from flash and use at some voltage ? like a normal bulb ?

Thanks!

Best bet are home depot halogen lights. They're hot, and you can use gels to get them to the color temperature you want.

You want to use a camera flash as a torch?

Flashes aren't designed to be on constantly. They overheat and can explode.

Best bet are home depot halogen lights. They're hot, and you can use gels to get them to the color temperature you
want.

What is the gell ?

BTW, when I use a different color temperature (for example: 6500, 7000, 8000) and shooting with RAW is possible to set the white balance as 5000K bulb ?

A gel is a colored sheet that you put between the light source and your subject for color effects or compensations.

eg. You're shooting indoors with tungsten film and a flash on top of your camera, you gel the flash to tungsten to match the lighting and so you keep the color consistent.
With the RAW thing, Yes, after the fact.

No you cannot. A flash was designed to flash for VERy short durations.

If you need a flashlight, go to a hardware store and pickup a $4 flashlight. If you want continuous... wel, my thoughts about using continuous light for photographic purposes is pretty well known. I am against it. If you need to find out why I am against it, just do a search here. :)

Is possible to use a flash without camera for continuous lighting ?
I have some old flashes and I need a good light, something around 5000-6000K.

Is possible to remove the bulb from flash and use at some voltage ? like a normal bulb ?

Thanks!
No. What you are looking for is a lamp.

Most reactions

Back