Vacantish plain-ness, ofcourse.

Becky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Having some irritating issues with colour calibration and screen weirdness with my mac the min... so if these look plain weird let me know (I plan to check on my work computer in the morning where I'll no doubt be horrified at what I've gone and posted.)

Hmm. Theres something appealing about dark black-like vacantish plain-ness. Though I'm not even sure what I mean by that (funnily enough). Not sure that i've achieved anything here... but I was trying to take images that explained a kind of fascination I have with nothingness... like quiet background buildings and scenes that manage to stir something within. Err...

grparktitledcopy.jpg

grparkclosercopy.jpg

queenshousecopy.jpg

Hmm, well they don't look too much different to how I expected they would... but I'm judging by the lack of comments they just aren't very nice! Oh well... just me likes the dark kind of look/atmosphere the first couple have then... :greenpbl:

Your "vacanish plain-ness" works for me in the second photo but for some odd reason does not in the first. In the second one, I can very well live with the division into light top (nothing there), dark bottom (few things there) and line of buildings as the border between the two. It might be there are too many people there in the first, or the couple sitting there might be too close and too concrete already, trying to be a subject, kind of, where there isn't supposed to BE that much of a subject in your "vacant-ness" (boy, you have us play with words here!!!!!!). Those few people walking through the second at the distance they are seem more ok.

The third is just good - nice contrasts, repetitions, converging lines and symmetry. That third one wins over MY heart in no time!

Thanks for your comments Corinna; I see what you mean about the closer subjects in the first... I think I'm relating the photos to actually being at that place, as its really quite unusual standing there with vast space ahead, historic buildings being the closest solid thing, and pompous skyscrapers towering behind... I might try and retake on a very quiet morning where I might be lucky enough to have no people there at all!

Thanks again for the feedback :hugs:

Most reactions

Back