Vacation Question

412 Burgh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.zacharydiberadin.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a question about filters. I heard everyone mention CPL filters and ND Filters. I have a CPL filter for my 18-105mm lens. Would a ND filter help with photos on vacation in Aruba? The bright sun i'm sure would be crucial to work with.

Equipment

Nikon D3100
18-105mm kit lens
55mm 1.8g lens

Yes.

Neutral density filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • Reducing depth of field in very bright light (e.g. daylight).
  • When using a flash on a camera with a focal-plane shutter, exposure time is limited to the maximum speed -often 1/250th of a second, at best- at which the entire film or sensor is exposed to light at one instant. Without an ND filter this can result in the need to use f8 or higher.

What's the widest aperture of your zoom at 18mm? F3.5? An ND4 or ND8 would be probably be sufficient.

ND8 then I think. That limits the light three stops. It's a solution to a problem you might (will!) encounter attempting to create a shot with shallow depth of field (i.e using the lens f2) in intense sunlight. Without the filter, you won't be able to get the shutter speed below the max (1/4000?) even at base ISO. Another benefit is while using a flashgun close to the subject (i.e people) it will allow you again to use a wider aperture than say, f8, f11 which otherwise maybe necessary to prevent overexposure.

Did you see the External Links on the Wiki page? The Digital Grin page is good info... Digital Grin Photography Forum - View Single Post - The Neutral Density Filter FAQ

I don't have a ND filter, but I plan to get one soon. I have had trouble getting those artsy shots where you need to leave the shutter open longer (running stream, moving waves, etc.) without overexposing in bright light and I think an ND filter would solve this. Maybe for ocean landscapes shots you should look into a graduated ND filter would as it can help lower exposure in the top of the frame where the sun is but keep the lower frame normal.

If this is wrong then maybe someone else with more experience with these filters can chime in.

Most reactions

Back