Vacationing in Feb.

SShepherd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi !
I'm heading to Tromso the first week of Feb. for a week and want to get some great NL photos (if the sun cooperates).
I have a 6D and looking for suggestions on a lens that has the most bang for the buck, I know I could drop some serious coin on glass but I'd like to be able to eat while I'm there.
Most of the photos I take are of our travels.

Any help I would appreciate

For shooting the Northern Lights, I would want the fastest, widest lens that I could afford. Canon's new 11-24 fits very nicely into that category, but it is a bit of a brick as far as weight is concerned ( I have one) and not exactly cheap glass. Alternatively, I have shot the Northern Lights with the 16-35mm L IS f/2.8 with great results. I have three sets posted on Flickr which were shot with both lenses - edgeland1rm’s albums | Flickr - Photo Sharing! , so I do have some experience with this type of imagery.

You didn't say what you have in the way of lenses, but even a 24-105mm at 24 mm will give you enough width to get some decent shots. You might take a look at the new Sigma ART lenses - Lenses | Sigma Corporation of America . They are quickly gaining a reputation for quality, just make sure that you get the one(s) that are for full-frame cameras. Here is a review of their new 24mm ART lens for Canon - Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens Review . These Sigma lenses are, of course, a lot less expensive than those for Canon.

Hope this helps.

WesternGuy

I just have the 24-105 F/4
Thanks for the suggestions on lenses. Awesome pics !:trink39:

You are welcome. Even though you have the 24-105, if you can afford wider/faster glass (e.g., 16-35 f/2.8), I would recommend it, but what ever works. Glad you liked the pics. I am going back to Yellowknife in March 2016 to photograph the Aurora again, weather permitting. 2014 and 2015 have been absolutely awesome years for the Aurora, here's hoping that 2016 will continue that trend.

WesternGuy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back