Validating the purchase of a 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII for a smaller college newspaper

austriker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dlindahlphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Howdy,

So I work as the photo editor for a smaller college newspaper (student body: about 3000) and am looking to requisition for a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VRII. It should be a great investment and a big jump over the 55-200 f/4-5.6 that we currently have for our 6 nikon shooters (about half of the staff).

We do have two Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L lenses that we acquired a few years ago.

What would you guys use to convince the finance committee we should get this lens?

I have come to the obvious conclusions like a long term investment, and helping our shooters. I am going to show a shot comparing an indoor photo from the Canon f/2.8 lens and the 55-200 Nikon lens. I guess does anyone have any resources or good websites that can give some hard data?

Thanks.

I#d be tempted to say the better long term investment is to pick either canon or nikon and focus the departments resources into a single working brand - makes it a lot cheaper on gear if you don't need two different working setups and makes loaning of bodies easier as its all one company and one menu formate

As for justification you could also add a 2*TC and 1.4TC to the 70-200mm - giving you up to a 140-400mm lens for covering sports events - note canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2 would give you a similar calibre performance

I#d be tempted to say the better long term investment is to pick either canon or nikon and focus the departments resources into a single working brand - makes it a lot cheaper on gear if you don't need two different working setups and makes loaning of bodies easier as its all one company and one menu format

I was thinking the same thing, but did not want to post for fear of starting another Nikon vs Canon thread. The OP doesn't explicitly say, but I was guessing that volunteers have camera bodies and the newspaper provides longer lenses for events. If not, I would follow overread's advice and simplify your equipment to one platform.

Most reactions

Back