"Vector" photos?

Last edited:
Not really true. Yes, the objects/details reproduced in the vector photo will be scalable, but you would have to limit the level of detail also in vector photos. Simply because of traditional photographic limitations as the optical quality of the lenses, blur and so on. The files would also become huge and very difficult to process with that kind of level of detail. Vector photography would be a great leap in the evolution of photography, but not a shoot-once-capture-all solution. There will definitely still be a lot of limitiations.

More likely it will be used for dynamic focus and lighting in the edit bay. It'll help some with upscaling the art but that likely wouldn't be the main focus. ;)

BTW, there have been "vectorizors" that create photorealistic 2D and 3D scans for about 12 or 15 years now. Likely the next logical step is indeed an all-in-one camera-sized solution.

What?

Really?

Are

you

sure?

Those are all vector images and the computer is figuring out what goes "in between the edges" as Garbs puts it. :D

And I can link like those and better all day and night and not run out of subjects or artists. ;)

:D http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=121&t=550192 Hehehhehee.... ;)

My god, are you telling me that all those images are not in actual fact photos but 3D renderings - If thats the case 3D and effects SW has come a hell of a long way since I was using it.

Absolutely gobsmacked.

Thank you. I don't mind admitting being a part of the advancements in the CG industry! ;)

A big chunk of my life actually. :D

My god, are you telling me that all those images are not in actual fact photos but 3D renderings - If thats the case 3D and effects SW has come a hell of a long way since I was using it.

Absolutely gobsmacked.

I could tell these were CG in like 2 seconds.

Not bad at all, good stuff, takes them about 10x longer to do these then to set up and shoot it.

its no threat to real photography since there has to be some truth in advertising and you don't make money taking portraits of people that dont exist. That said its intriguing and an art form to itself, personally Id rather learn something about how my lens interacts with the real world and go out and shoot instead of sitting at a keyboard for 100 hours. Hey everyone it different.

I dunno, if you use something like Poser you can get results pretty close to that before you could even mount your camera on a tripod. And in most of these apps positioning the character is real-time. Additionally, setting you're own props realistic or fantasy is possible where in a studio such sets might take a year or more for a single guy to design and build.

http://my.smithmicro.com/win/poserpro/index.html# <-- Click the gallery tab. ;)

You're right though "good" character CG takes a long time. I hand-held the guy who modeled and rigged LOTR Gollum and it took him a little over a year. This is not including animation. ;)

On the other hand most of the stills you see like I posted above, take about 3 to 5 days if the artist knows what their doing.

Reminds me of those photos in Blade Runner...

It seems like it'd be silly to say that we're no where near a camera that can pull off vector images. All businesses compete by constantly trying to produce a product that is better, faster or cheaper than it's competition, or some combination of those. Successful inventions always arise in a place where technology lacks in one of those categories and the scalability of images will soon be the problem.

It seems to me that if it's technologically plausible and a market need exists, it will become a technological reality and soon.

Ipods are an excellent example of just that. Someone said, "this giant cd book in my car is a nuisance... wouldn't it be nice if..." Now hundreds, sometimes thousands, of albums can be stored in a tiny box the size of your wallet for only about $200. 15 years ago, that notion would certainly beckon scoffing, I'm sure.

Last edited:
Since vectors work with lines instead of pixels, it will have to be quite a drastic change but I like the idea. It will is the future for sure. It is already being used in graphic design, especially for logos of companies.

There already are vectorizing cameras but just not in a 35mm SLR format is all. The technology is already available.

I never felt like an idiot on TPF before reading this thread...I'm probably going to cry myself to sleep tonight.

I prefer to live with the delusion that teams of Keebler elves are inside my camera tripping the shutter :)

mmm... fudgey vector megapixel goodness!

Someone get Ernie and string the bastard up and beat him with his own fudgesticks!!! :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back