Vertical grip

EleanorW

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is there any pro's or con's to these? I've been thinking about getting one, but not sure if it's something I really need or not.

The only cons I can think of are size and weight.

I use one and love it. I have larger hands, so it makes the camera fit my griop better. It also makes shooting vertical much easier, becasue of the additional shutter release controls.

I thought the same thing as well, and since i've had mine (5+ months) I can't live without it.

PRO:
It adds some bulk to my rebel, so the camera is heavier and sturdier when shooting. Less camera shake.

Shooting portraits is so much easier, specially when you are doing portraits shoots where its one portrait after another.

The extra battery and possibly to use regular AA batteries is a nice touch.

CON:
I don't always know when I'm running low on batteries. I try and charge them up before anything important, but I've gone out shooting just for myself and had my 2 batteries die on me. I carry a third in my bag just in case.

While the bulk is nice for shooting, it does take more room in the bag. If you bought a bag that was not made for pro size cameras, it might be at tighter squeeze.

I have one and like it, most of the time... Although I'm thinking about selling it and putting the money toward something else that will help with my photography (lens, light, etc).

I use one on my Nikon D90, and like the rest I really love it. Mine as a shutter release button on it so when its vertical its right there at my finger tips.

I like using mine most of the time. It does add weight, bulk, some stability when using heavy glass and the extra controls. For my Nikons it will also increase the burst rate to 8fps.

However, on days like today when the arthritis flairs up on my shooting hand, I'd have to remove it and go with lighter weight primes. :(

I like mine. And I use it most of the time except when I want to travel light.

I think my main issue with it is that I have what I call 'The Perfect Bag' (Lowepro Rezo 170) and with the grip on my camera doesn't fit anymore.

I haven't been able to find a suitable replacement bag yet, maybe when I do I'll never take the grip off.

I hear ya Noyze. When I'm walking for a while, I typically bring with me a Lowepro Primus. Good space up top for other stuff, room for 3 lenses, camera and flash down below. It has a side opening so I can easily grab my camera out, but with the grip attached, it won't fit through the opening. So I do take it off for that.

Considering that if I am walking for a bit, I'm not doing portraits, I can do without. But the camera feels soooo small.

The only cons I can think of are size and weight.

I use one and love it. I have larger hands, so it makes the camera fit my griop better. It also makes shooting vertical much easier, becasue of the additional shutter release controls.
That, and for me, I seem to be able to hold the camera much steadier. For hand held shots, they are a must for me. With mine, I'm also able to use AA cell batteries.

Most reactions

Back