Very bad service from Nikon repair services

jlykins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jlykinsphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've had it with Nikon Repair services. I have an SB800 that all of the sudden started no firing in TTL mode. It would work in manual, and Auto, but not TTL. So I sent it in to Nikon to get fixed over a month ago. It gets there takes almost a week to show as "in shop" on their tracking system. Then it's on parts hold status for two weeks. Meanwhile I called trying to find out what the problem is, and if there is any way to expedite the process. First I get a really helpful girl that says no problem, I'll put a rush on it. Another couple of days goes by and nothing changes on the status screen online. I call back and get some guy named Jose who refuses to look my order up by my name, says that he has to have my service order number. Ok I get off of the phone with him, go find the service order number, and call back. A woman answers the phone, doesn't even want my service order number, she wants my name and address... :madmad: So she tells me that the order is complete and that she is sending an email to the repair center to find out if it has been shipped back to me yet. (this was last Friday). I get an email from her that says it will be going out Monday. It's now Thursday and I haven't seen it yet, so I called just a few minutes ago and I get Jose again. This time I had my service order number ready, and he puts me on hold for like 10 minutes. Comes back and says, uh yeah sir, the flash hasn't been completed yet. I'm sending the repair center an email to have them put a rush on it. Holy ****! Are they idots over there or what? I really want to complain to someone, but I don't know who to call... Sorry, I just wanted to vent.

Lol not idiots, call centre employees. They are in a class of their own. The bigger the company the worse the service.

Did you have to send it to Nikon? I would have tried getting warranty covered at an authorised repair workshop first, for this very reason. It's not the fact that Nikon repair guys are idiots, it's the fact the call centre staff don't know much more than you do. :(

I won't deny that the call center has terrible customer service, but I've had a few things repaired through Nikon and each time they stated it would be 4-6 weeks. So the time frame you have isn't unreasonable.

And in my experience they won't put a "rush" on it even if they say they will. Canon has this program where if you're a pro and your livelihood depends on your equipment they will get it to you in a hurry. I'm a pro, my livelihood very much depends on having my equipment, and Nikon has never gotten stuff back to me in less than 5 weeks even if I ask them for a "pro-rush."

I'm a pro, my livelihood very much depends on having my equipment, and Nikon has never gotten stuff back to me in less than 5 weeks even if I ask them for a "pro-rush."

Nikon does have a pro level service... unfortunately for many, it is tied only to their pro level equipment. You can tell them that you are Joe McNally and if the camera they are woking on is not a D700, D3 or D3x... there is no change in priority placed on it.

Nikon does have a pro level service... unfortunately for many, it is tied only to their pro level equipment. You can tell them that you are Joe McNally and if the camera they are woking on is not a D700, D3 or D3x... there is no change in priority placed on it.
Exactly! Also there is a reason for the times Nikon gets a ton of equipment in for repairs each day. Then there is the equipment they have to inspect that has nothing wrong with it in the first place but, user error. All of this takes time.

Last time I checked the SB800 is a pro level flash.

If they are anything like Canon, my bet in this case is that they are, it's not about "Pro level" lenses or flash units but top of the line bodies. It is amazing what buying a couple of 1D MIII bodies does for you in terms of Pro support from Canon. That along with earning a good bit of your income from the use of that equipment.

It's sad to see that kind support from Nikon. When I had my 24-70 f2.8L go down on me it was 7 days from the time I shipped it till the time big brown delivered it to my door. That was with standard support from Canon.

It's known as NPS, or Nikon Professional Service. If you need pro level service, this is the way to go. Otherwise, just because you buy pro gear doesn't mean you get put above those that don't know the difference between aperture and shutter speed.

Nikon Pro

Most reactions

Back