Very effective rangefinder accessory for less than 1 penny

Gavjenks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Check out this website, it's pretty awesome: Human Rangefinder Card Generator

Basically you measure the distance between your pupils, and your arm length, and then it gives you a card you can print out that has the solved trigonometric distances that correlate to how much the image changes when you look through one eye versus the other.

So you hold the card at arm's length, line up the "0" point with an edge of your subject, switch to the other eye, and read off the number that that edge now rests at, and that's the distance to it from your head.

I just made one and it appears to be perfectly accurate, basically to within inches (at longer lengths the numbers cram together though and you lose precision, but you don't need as much precision because DOF is deeper).

Along with a distance scale on the sliding rails of my 4x5 view camera (make one for each lens), this will allow me to focus without using the ground glass, step 1 toward allowing a field camera to be used handheld. Step 2 is some sort of coathanger viewfinder reticle system that attaches to the hot shoe and folds up when not in use.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back