Very First Time...

First time or not I would turn down the money as most animal welfare programs aren't exactly flush with cash.

Chalk it up as a free learning experience that is helping some animals find a home.
That's a great way to look at it!

I'd charge a flat $100, give the client a cd of the images and keep practicing. Don't worry about what anyone else has to say. You mentioned not working, so I assume you can use the cash. A shoot like this is not going to affect anyone else, just have some fun, don't stress, hope the dog is calm. As for being, or acting professional, the client already knows that you're not doing this for a living, so just show up on time, ready to go, spend a little time letting the dog get comfortable around you, maybe take along a few dog treats to get the dog to settle down.

Personally the only animals I work with are professional athletes, they like treats as well.

I've worked with dogs before, the dog will be the easy part ;) People are so much harder to request to do what you want. And best/worst case, the dog is a total goof and I can capture that, instead (those are always my favorite photos...technical details aside). Based off what I've heard, the dog isn't calm. It will mean I get to play with a puppy, AND take photos. I'm not sure why people skip that first step ever. :)

I baked a ridiculous amount of treats for my own dog recently, so there's loads to go around, too :) No way would I forget that! My second favorite to see the reaction to is always the harmonica....

Thanks for the kind words :) I plan to have a great time, regardless of the advice I get. And thanks for an estimate/opinion on what you think a reasonable balance is :)

I'd charge a flat $100, give the client a cd of the images and keep practicing. Don't worry about what anyone else has to say. You mentioned not working, so I assume you can use the cash. A shoot like this is not going to affect anyone else, just have some fun, don't stress, hope the dog is calm. As for being, or acting professional, the client already knows that you're not doing this for a living, so just show up on time, ready to go, spend a little time letting the dog get comfortable around you, maybe take along a few dog treats to get the dog to settle down.

Personally the only animals I work with are professional athletes, they like treats as well.

This sounds like a perfectly reasonable way to go about it. $100, and give her the best you can. Manage her expectations with regards to how many shots she'll get and your experience. During the shoot, keep showing her the images and asking if you're going in the right direction with the shots - keep her involved throughout the shoot. And definitely ask her for some honest feedback once you've given her the final images.

I always do this. If I do an actor headshot session, whether free or paid I always ask them to give me honest feedback once they've received the final images, especially for them to pass on any feedback they get from casting directors, agents, directors or anyone else important in that industry that might have something to say, regardless of whether the feedback is good or bad. I've had some of my most useful C&C that way and it has improved my shots immeasurably.

[thread]

You made up your mind to take the money before posting this thread, and have come here looking for "approval" from your peers.

You aren't going to get majority approval, and aren't ready to be considered "pro" in any capacity but that won't stop you from taking the money.

[/thread]

Another thread like this pops up seemingly every day here.

Take the money. Enjoy the money. Understand though that your product will speak for itself. Your client may "just looooove" the photos to your face, then wish they had never paid you. That word will spread.

The client may LOOOOOOVE your photos,and show everyone. Other people may have a different opinion, and you will have a hard time getting a paying gig from others as a result.

Or... everyone will love your photos, you will become a photography sensation overnight and will have to beat away paying customers with a stick.

This last one is pretty doubtful.

You mention the dog is a rescue, is it currently up for adoption and being fostered by the person wanting the photos? Are the photos going to be used in an attempt to find it a home? If the answer is yes to these then I personally would not take payment as foster parents (to animals or people) already put so much time, effort and money into caring for these animals and whatever you can provide will help the dog find a new permanent home. If your friend still insists on payment then maybe they can either make a donation to the rescue in your name or take you out to dinner or something.

As for what to have to take the photos (I haven't read all the posts and am far from being a pro), be sure to bring treats and a squeaky toy to get the dogs attention. When I had photos done of my Mom's dog for her, one thing the photographer made sure to do was to rotate the dogs collar so any tags were in the back and not showing in the photo. Also, I believe you mentioned the dog is all black, my Mom's was as well and we had her photos done professionaly twice by two different photographers who each had over 20 years experience, both had issues bringing out her features without bringing in extra lights and reflectors. Without the extra lights/reflectors she came out looking like a black blob.

Either way, good luck with the shoot and let us know how it turns out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back