Very mixed bag (Testing new lens)

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As much as I love the Tokina 300 F2.8, there are a few things that I felt I could that a newer lens could improve upon. I picked up a Nikon 300 F4 AF-S. The verdict is still out, but it is much smaller an lighter for sure. The 1.4x TC I have doesn't play well with the lens so I ordered a different one.. But here are a few shots from the first 24 hours.. Thoughts and comments welcome...

Sharpness with 1.4x TC... The TC is "nervous" and doesn't like to lock on target but I got this seagull in focus.. This is a pretty heavy crop around 50% I think...

Seagull with 1.4x TC by krisinct, on Flickr

Close focus is pretty fun. I think this was with the TC also...

Skipper 1 by krisinct, on Flickr

Young Bald Eagle from this morning... NO TC

Juvenile Bald Eagle in flight by krisinct, on Flickr

Osprey from this morning.. I feel this is a little soft...

Osprey with fish 2 by krisinct, on Flickr

Not my normal shot, but the sunset was crazy last night... looked like the sky was on fire.. I was at work so I didn't have much time.. Decided to silhouette the dead the sunflowers..

Death of the Sunflower at sunset by krisinct, on Flickr

I'm not really qualified to critique the technical side of the shots but I will say that I love the sunflower shot

not much help here either, but all great pictures. I can see little black dots in the eyeball of that seagull

Hey, awesome Kris! I hope you like the new lens. The close-focusing abilities of the lens are pretty darned good for a 300mm prime, and it works pretty well with an extension tube added, and/or with a 1.4x TC added. It's actually kind of a nifty pseudo-macro type rig with a 12mm or 20mm extension tube added, something like the Kenko AF tube set for example maintains AF and full EXIF and automation/metering functions.

nice shots Kris! I've not tried the 300 f4, but I hear its a great lens. IIRC I think there are rumors around Nikon updating it soon, of course those are just rumors.

The osprey doesn't look too soft to me, but at web size its hard to tell sometimes.

Nice set. Always nice trying out a new lens. Just got myself a Nikon 200-400 f4 VR

That first shot--man, I'd be happy to get THAT sharp of a result even *without* a TC!

Moving up in the world, huh? Of course, I'm pretty convinced that you could get a sharp image with a paper towel tube and a piece of glass attached to your camera... :lmao:

I'm not really qualified to critique the technical side of the shots but I will say that I love the sunflower shot
I really like the colors of that last one.
Thank you kindly!
Hey, awesome Kris! I hope you like the new lens. The close-focusing abilities of the lens are pretty darned good for a 300mm prime, and it works pretty well with an extension tube added, and/or with a 1.4x TC added. It's actually kind of a nifty pseudo-macro type rig with a 12mm or 20mm extension tube added, something like the Kenko AF tube set for example maintains AF and full EXIF and automation/metering functions.
I m pretty encouraged by the first day. I went through my macro bug phase and for what I shoot now the close focus with the 1.4x gives me pretty good magnification.. I just couldn't convince myself to be in debt for the siggy 120-300 as much as I really want that lens

nice shots Kris! I've not tried the 300 f4, but I hear its a great lens. IIRC I think there are rumors around Nikon updating it soon, of course those are just rumors.
The osprey doesn't look too soft to me, but at web size its hard to tell sometimes.
For a low end lens it is pretty sharp. The strange thing is that it's a little too small and light for me.. That will take the most adjustment... I know the VR is probably coming, but it will probably cost more than the pentax K-3 and the DA* 300mm combined... just saying :)

Nice set. Always nice trying out a new lens. Just got myself a Nikon 200-400 f4 VR
Woohoo!! that is fantastic. I will have to come find you when the snowy returns in the winter. I will just look for the big lens :)

That first shot--man, I'd be happy to get THAT sharp of a result even *without* a TC!
Moving up in the world, huh? Of course, I'm pretty convinced that you could get a sharp image with a paper towel tube and a piece of glass attached to your camera... :lmao:
I wish I could figure out how to make a paper towel roll focus correctly:) Thanks for the PM btw, I think I will be entering :)

Really like the last photo.
not much help here either, but all great pictures. I can see little black dots in the eyeball of that seagull
They are all fantastic. Nuf sed
Thank you kindly :)

The only thing I'm battling is the lens was graded at e++ at Cameta and I think their grade was a bit high.. My new TC should be here tomorrow so hopefully I can really see how my new 420 F5.6 prime performs... :)

Good stuff as always, looks like the new lens is a keeper!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back