Viciria sp. jumper with eggs/spiderlings

orionmystery

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
orionmystery.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Viciria sp. jumping spider with eggs and later, spiderlings.

Montage: Viciria sp. with eggs then spiderlings by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

IMG_9586 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Some of the eggs hadn't hatched yet!

IMG_9993 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

A closer look at the spiderlings

IMG_9893 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Even closer look:

IMG_9986 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

More invertebrates (mostly) moms with babies: Happy Mother's Day! | Up Close with Nature

Beautiful shots!! Those babies are cute! Love the color, and the way they are all running around. That shot of "mom" and her eggs is lovely.. great definition and color! Nicely done! :)

Last edited:
Everything CGI said +1!
Really that spider selected a beauty of a plant to lay her eggs upon and it really blends so well with her natural colourful markings - a real treat to see the shots!

Beautiful shots!! Those babies are cute! Love the color, and the way they are all running around. That shot of "mom" and her eggs is lovely.. great definition and color! Nicely done! :)

Everything CGI said +1!
Really that spider selected a beauty of a plant to lay her eggs upon and it really blends so well with her natural colourful markings - a real treat to see the shots!

Wow. We really are lucky to have you around these parts for inspiration. :)

Mark

Thanks, Charlie, Mark, Overread.

Too bad the mom didn't want to pose with the spiderlings :(

Holy crap! I've got to say this is the coolest set of images that I've ever seen. I love the babies!! That said, I hate spiders.

Are her species known to guard the spiderlings or does her protection extend only up till they hatch? Spiders seem to run the gauntlet from totally legs off all the way through to carrying them around.

Holy crap! I've got to say this is the coolest set of images that I've ever seen. I love the babies!! That said, I hate spiders.

Thanks TooShay. LOL...spiders are cute :D

Are her species known to guard the spiderlings or does her protection extend only up till they hatch? Spiders seem to run the gauntlet from totally legs off all the way through to carrying them around.

From what I know, most spiders who care for their youngs will do so till after the spiderlings' first molt. I was there just now (Jan 31) and the spiderlings were still around. Mom was nearby. Maybe I'll go in a couple of days to check on them again. It's only 17km away.

These are spectacular! Love the transparency of the baby spiders :p

Wow....I mean wow......did I say wow....lol Great shots!!!
Just wondering how you found this mommy and her eggs? How long from the time you found them til the hatching? Did you have to go check everyday til they hatched....lol

Wow....I mean wow......did I say wow....lol Great shots!!!
Just wondering how you found this mommy and her eggs? How long from the time you found them til the hatching? Did you have to go check everyday til they hatched....lol

Thanks, Mishele. Found her and the eggs by chance. Didn't go back everyday, just two or 3 times a week to check on them. I posted a more complete report here: Jumping Spider Life Cycle | Up Close with Nature

Most reactions

New Topics

Back