Vid shots limited with DSLR?

duhast

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Reading the book for my new T3i. We want to shoot some instructional vids at work. The book mentioned that the camera can overheat. Is this much of a problem? Still exposures are auto-limited to 30 seconds. When shooting video, does the same thing happen? If not, what sort of time limitations are there on shooting video scenes?

The t3i is limited to about 12 minutes of continuous record time.

Sam

You can use the bulb setting if you want more than 30 seconds.. Video mode is limited to 12 continuous minutes, BUT you could get magic lantern if you want. Honestly, if you have an instructional video with the same shot and it's more than 12 minutes long, you need to re-thing the video. People will get bored.

-Ken Turner

Overheating has been an issue for me. I tried to shoot a ceremony that was about 45 minutes, and it kept overheating and shutting off.

I've since upgraded the firmware (read hacked) with the Magic Lantern firmware. That's fine and good, but heat can hurt the image sensor.

If you really need more than about 10-12 continuous minutes of footage, DSLR may not be the way to go. Do you have a place you can rent gear where you live?

Most reactions

Back