Viewing RAW - irfranview

cloverx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Before I needed to reformat my computer I was using irfanview for viewing/editing RAW files. I know it's probably not the best, but I could look quickly through my images, crop, re size, adjust contrast etc. It was easy and convenient. Now that I had to reinstall this program it's not working the same. The images load VERY slowly. Before the loading as quickly as a jpg. I have a Canon Rebel T2i, and I even tried the software that comes with it. I don't like that program.

Does anyone know about irfanview that might know how to get it to not load slowly? If not, can you suggest other programs that I can use as a default photo viewer, and easily edit my CR2 files from there

The images you're going to work on, or the thumbnails?

If the latter, you may have deleted or changed the reference to them somehow, and the program needs to rebuild them.

I could open the image, not the thumbnail. I could then crop, resize, adjust contrast/light, etc. Then save as jpg or whatever. It still does this now, however it takes 1-2 minutes to open ONE photo. It was never slow before, so I can't figure how what's going on with it. It's frustrating.

One thing - is there a way to get this program to show thumbnail preview when I view the images in the folder and not the program itself?
No. Unless the program is running it's not going to show anything. If you are using Windows it should do it for you. You may have to install a codec for RAW files but the manufacturers usually provide them free of charge.

One thing - is there a way to get this program to show thumbnail preview when I view the images in the folder and not the program itself?
No. Unless the program is running it's not going to show anything. If you are using Windows it should do it for you. You may have to install a codec for RAW files but the manufacturers usually provide them free of charge.

Sorry I'm a little unsure what you mean here.

Sorry I'm a little unsure what you mean here.
Windows will display thumbnails of standard image files (JPG, TIF, GIF, etc.) however all RAW formats are different and Microsoft chose not to try and write the code to extract the JPEG thumbnails from them. They left it up to the manufacturers (Canon, Nikon, etc.) to provide the software to decode their RAW files and allow the thumbnails to be displayed. This software is called a "Codec" or "RAW Codec" and they can usually be downloaded from the manufacturer's web site. You do not need the codec unless you are shooting RAW. As I said, Windows will display the thumbnails of standard image formats without any additional software.

Thank you! I got the microsoft camera codec pack, and it shows thumbnails now.

Most reactions

Back