Vilhelm Pacht, and the First 35mm still camera

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by star camera company, Jul 11, 2020.

1. pocketcamera

pocketcamera TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Alot of early camera designs were sound and only need modern gasket material to make a go of them.

Have wanted to figure out how to make the shutters but never found books or useful drawings

2. star camera company

star camera company No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    F7FFB1CB-C478-4412-9B58-116531D50E06.jpeg Put the wire finder on and shot film yesterday. What a Sweetie!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. star camera company

Photos OK to edit
    4CF435EA-B05A-4948-BACD-9AE13B128233.jpeg a 5225CBFE-9E43-41E2-B5C7-BE70A294CAE7.jpeg Vilhelm, Your Camera Works! Had the pleasure of seeing a strip of nice negatives emerge from the fixer! No light leaks (WOW), Nice even spacing of the images, and a great start. Booboo made not filling new (to me) Ansco tank with enough developer (duh), So, Pachts design works. It’s a one thumb operation. At f11 the
    Single meniscus shows too much flare. I’m reducing the stop to f16. The bulk roll I have is ISO 100 and all negs were somewhat overexposed, the lower light ones were the best, so a smaller hole behind the Brownie shutter will take care of that. All in all, first film out of the first prototype 35 built, I’m Happy!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 3
  4. star camera company

Photos OK to edit
    I was able to make contact with the Museum in Denmark where the original resides. Here’s the link they provided Google Translate There are obviously some aspects of the design I did not know of. JP Andersen did not like this prototype, complaining it was too complicated. I can see now the film advance seems to be a sliding “grabbing” pressure plate which looks to be controlled by a little ball on a sting which comes out the top! The shutter must be an early air bulb unit, it is noted the lens is missing. The Museum agreed to supply better photos to me shortly. Awaiting their reply, I’m trying to determine if extant Pacht negatives exist. You know, this little thing may totally upset the apple cart as far as WHO and WHEN the First 35mm still Camera appeared. We know it wasn’t Oskar....but I’ve Never seem Pacht even mentioned. Strange as this artifact has existed and been recognized for decades.••••• Meanwhilr I reduced the aperature fo f16 on mine, have it reloaded and would like to get out and shoot today but the “feels like” temp here in south jersey is going to be 105. Sealed up in my RV with the Air blowing, planning of watching bad old Japanese Atomic monster movies today. I cannot believe I worked the last two summers in golf course maintenance. Holy Chit that would Kill me now ;-(

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  5. zulu42

zulu42 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Great work. Really interesting, too!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. star camera company

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks. 2nd version I build will be more to Pachts original. I absolutely love these challenges! The thought of pulling a little ball on a string is really charming :) This is Sooo much more fun than spending $8295 for a New Leica M10.......and I’ll bet that somehow this little replica I built will still be around in 100 years and working.

• Like Like x 2
  7. star camera company

Photos OK to edit
    So on the museum it states Pacht was assisted by Ellehammer. Wellllll. Wikipedia gives the link, take a look and then realize this very skilled inventive engineer has a hand in the design! Jacob Ellehammer - Wikipedia

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. star camera company

Photos OK to edit
    041F08C0-F252-4B6A-B6F6-F12753201A7A.jpeg So any ideas how these Geniuses rigged tgefilm advance? They weren’t afraid of linkages etc., Pacht himself had a good inventive mind tilted toward Kino equipment.

9. star camera company

Photos OK to edit

36667670-0F4A-4BD8-AC14-B0BD1C4A1B34.jpeg I’ve gotten a series of new photos from the Museum in Denmark. It IS a complicated device, mostly the film advance. Here’s a good picture. A sliding assembly must grab the film, move it out, then move it along, retract and repeat. Going to be a case of make the parts and then figure it out. Jacob Earlhammer who assisted Pacht with the build made airplanes and helicopters so complicated linkages weee his forte. •••••• looking to me that the film travel is (from the rear), right to left. This being contrary to modern concept makes this difficult to envision. The thing that looks like a claw next to the shutter housing is pushed sideways to fire the shutter by tha air bulb. The tube is fixed inside the top cover and a sealed unit. It pushes forward an “end”, which hits the “claw”.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 8:57 AM