Viltrox. Third party lens for Fuji. yea or nay?

pixmedic

I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
been reading some reviews on Viltrox lenses for fuji. It's a Chinese company that makes lenses in the Fuji X mount and Sony E mount. they are full-frame lenses to be compatible with the sony mirrorless so the downside is that with the fuji x mount you are getting a larger full-frame lens.
The reviews thus far have been very favorable, and the lenses are significantly cheaper than native fuji lenses.
the only weird part I found is that the 85mm f/1.8 lens does not have an aperture ring and the other lenses do. apparently, the 85mm aperture is controlled strictly through the front wheel on the camera. not a deal-breaker for me but I just found it odd that the 22mm, 33mm, and 56mm lenses all had aperture rings, but not the 85mm.
several reviewers noted that the autofocus was good and the images sharp, although not quite as sharp wide open as native fuji lenses. Continuous autofocus was not as good as the fuji lenses, but some of that has been corrected with a recent firmware update from Viltrox. Firmware update instructions have you plugging the lens into your computer with a USB cable so I guess they built in a USB plug into the lenses, which is pretty neat.

it's probably a long shot but I was curious if anyone here had one of these lenses and can give me some real hands-on reviews.
I don't really do as much photography now as I used to so the cost-prohibitive nature of Fuji lenses has kept me from any recent purchases, but if Viltrox is putting out a good product then I might have to pick up one or two.
Sigma is supposedly going to introduce lenses in the Fuji X mount this year so that should be interesting if it happens. I've been waiting for some third party autofocus options that isn't a $1000+ Zeiss Touit

been reading some reviews on Viltrox lenses for fuji. It's a Chinese company that makes lenses in the Fuji X mount and Sony E mount. they are full-frame lenses to be compatible with the sony mirrorless so the downside is that with the fuji x mount you are getting a larger full-frame lens.
The reviews thus far have been very favorable, and the lenses are significantly cheaper than native fuji lenses.
the only weird part I found is that the 85mm f/1.8 lens does not have an aperture ring and the other lenses do. apparently, the 85mm aperture is controlled strictly through the front wheel on the camera. not a deal-breaker for me but I just found it odd that the 22mm, 33mm, and 56mm lenses all had aperture rings, but not the 85mm.
several reviewers noted that the autofocus was good and the images sharp, although not quite as sharp wide open as native fuji lenses. Continuous autofocus was not as good as the fuji lenses, but some of that has been corrected with a recent firmware update from Viltrox. Firmware update instructions have you plugging the lens into your computer with a USB cable so I guess they built in a USB plug into the lenses, which is pretty neat.

it's probably a long shot but I was curious if anyone here had one of these lenses and can give me some real hands-on reviews.
I don't really do as much photography now as I used to so the cost-prohibitive nature of Fuji lenses has kept me from any recent purchases, but if Viltrox is putting out a good product then I might have to pick up one or two.
Sigma is supposedly going to introduce lenses in the Fuji X mount this year so that should be interesting if it happens. I've been waiting for some third party autofocus options that isn't a $1000+ Zeiss Touit

I'm curious. I've noticed them too. The price scares me away and I haven't tried one. Not a lot of samples out there yet but some are starting to show up: Viltrox PFU RBMH 85mm f/1.8 STM (Fujifilm X) - Test Report / Review - Sample Images & Verdict

Most reactions

Back