Vivitar 385Hv for off camera use

Foxtrot_01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was reading on the internet that when buying a used Vivitar 385hv you should be careful since the old ones apparently might burn your DSLR. If I am using this used flash as a off camera flash, should I worry about this? What should I look into when buying a used flash for off camera use?

I was reading on the internet that when buying a used Vivitar 385hv you should be careful since the old ones apparently might burn your DSLR. If I am using this used flash as a off camera flash, should I worry about this? What should I look into when buying a used flash for off camera use?

The 285HV is lower voltage and specifially designed for a digital camera. That's what the HV designation stands for. If you're using it off camera, that won't matter anyways.

If you're worried spend a little more and look at something like a Lumopro LP120. They're about $120-$130.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]i found this in the web not sure if it will help.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Just be sure if you use an old non-Nikon brand flash from the 1970s that the trigger voltage isn't too high. You can use a voltmeter on the PC or hot shoe. Some old flashes used a 300 Volt trigger and that could fry newer cameras. [/FONT]​

Most reactions

Back