voitlander bessa

mysteryscribe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
retrophotoservice.2ya.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought a voightlander bessa with 110 mm lens 4.5 1/200 of a second compur shutter. I bought it for the lens. Plan to attach it to a 2x3 studio simi view i build. I paid 25bucks for the camera with shipping if I were to buy a vintage lens like it the cost would be about fifty bucks at least.

I think I got a pretty good deal.

Yeah, that does sound like a good deal.

BTW, which lens does the Bessa have? Is it the Vaskar, the Skopar or the Voigtar?

I didn't pay any attention when I bought it on ebay... And the seller has pulled the pictures now that it is sold. I suppose to make away for more on their host site. I will have to wait a few days, but I'll keep you posted on the lens saga.

I have been able to clean most all of the lenses I have bought (without opening them) so I'm not too worried if it is sticky. I just wonder about the springs. If it hasn't been over worked it will be fine no more than I shoot.

Since I got that 3a with the broken strut but shutter that was practically factory new, I know how those things were supposed to feel. I realize how close to used up a couple of mine are. Too bad there isn't some way to fire the lens on ebay before you buy it.

lens is the voigtar anastigmat f4.5 110 mm and the shutter about half works just what I expected...at this moment I'm soaking it in benzine. I found a can of energine spot remover that does a great job. When it dries up im gonna lubricate it with graphite which is what I always use its a bit mess for a week or two but it does put a shutter back in shape if the springs aren't ruined. I think this one might have bad springs.

I cant cock the sutter on b or t slow speed the lens opens but wont close unless I raise the speeds that I hope is just dried grease. Im gonna know in the nest day or so.

mysteryscribe said:
change benzene to naptha and the lens works perfectly now. What a deal...

Yeah, Naphta, the greatest invention since sliced bread...:lmao:

That stuff is miraculous.

I usually put a lens in a waterproff plastic bag and drop in some very hot water. Let it sit till the water just starts to cool then exercise the lens. If I do that a few times it works well and I don't have to relube it. Since i only lube with graphite it takes a week to get the darn stuff out of the shutter.

But on this one and the last one for one reason or another I had to use naptha and it cleans one up in no time, but it also washes away all the old lube. Really do have to relube it with something but since i don't take the shutters apart graphite is the best thing it works it's way into the shutter chain. The two together made that lens work pertectly.

santino said:
so let's say I have a Agfa Sillete with compur shutter and don't know how to acces it (slow times aren't working so well) then I just put it in a plastic bag and hot water?

As long as you disassemble the lens cells and you take the shutter off the camera, that should work fine. :)

Take the lens and shutter off the camera. Make sure your plastic bag is water proof before you slip the lens inside it. Then set the bag in the water and after it get warm work the shutter over and over. repeat it reheated water until the lens works as it should, then do it again a couple of extra times. You dont want it to get stiff again when it cools off. That should work.

Try that before anything else.

Getting the lens and shutter off the camera is pretty simple. With the camera closed open the back then find the spanner nut. There might be two the larger one holds the lens onto the camera frame. If you have a spanner wrench use it to remove the lens if not....

Get a jewlers screw driver set and a small hammer. Take the largest flat screw driver and set it at an angle(so that when you tap it gently you will be loosening the bolt. lefty loosy.... when you get the nut off open the camera slowly and behold you have the lens in your hand.

If you take the rear lens element off, you wont get any lens condensation build up. That happened to me just once but it can happen. The rear element comes out with the smaller spanner nut. It actually is the rear element of the lens usually be damn careful loosening it.

This sounds harder than it is. If you get the rear element off and the lens won't free up with the heat thing, go to the naptha that'll get her unless a spring is broke but usually if that it the case the shutter wont stick it just wont work.

Im sure there are others who can add more but in at least the last ten lenses and shutters I have NOT opened the shutter at all.

you guys seem to understand some things about how to bring new life to old cameras ... I have a couple of old ones which I want to wake up from their sleep again, maybe I'll get back to you then :)

can't guarentee you wont screw them up so before you do it you do so at your own risk. However I have only screwed up one and I did it because I have fat fingers and shouldn't have been where I was in the first place. I stopped opening them up after that one.

Most reactions

Back