Vote baby vote! (u.s. folks)

treehuggerhikerboy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Tis that time of year, no matter what side of the fence you're on (or straddling), it's time to exercise that right (duty?).

Midterm elections have historically turned out pathetically low numbers in the U.S., and that's unfortunate...those poor folks that fought in the Revolutionary War are probably turning over in their graves.

Sorry for the public service announcement...but sometimes it feels like apathy reigns supreme.

rock on.

Apathy often does reign supreme if only because people are disgusted with the system. It's a shame I can't vote yet. :evil:

I'm tired of parts of the system and some of the schmucks that are running, but you just have to put your faith in some of them.

There are studies out there that say the young folks of america have become apathetic towards politics....it's too bad. I understand, but it's too bad.

For me, it's like a car wreck. I'm repulsed and fascinated at the same time.

Remember the TPF policy on politics, guys. The thread can remain up for now, as it's not exactly a debate but if it even begins to become any sort of debate it will be locked.

Sadly I'm one of those apathetic young people. I got into voting for a minute but I just felt so bummed in 2004 that frankly, I don't even care anymore. Before my brief voting phase I was intentionally not voting. Elected people are going to do whatever they want anyway, voting almost feels like a useless exersize.

Don't blame me, blame them for making me feel this way about the whole process.

--Illah

Illah said:
Sadly I'm one of those apathetic young people. I got into voting for a minute but I just felt so bummed in 2004 that frankly, I don't even care anymore. Before my brief voting phase I was intentionally not voting. Elected people are going to do whatever they want anyway, voting almost feels like a useless exersize.

Don't blame me, blame them for making me feel this way about the whole process.

--Illah

That's too bad. Elected officials will probably do what they want, sure, but you can help shape what they do, you know?

I do partially blame them for the general apathy of voters...most people can't stand negative campaign ads and their 'campaign finance reforms' are pretty ridiculous. Having said that, by not voting, you have absolutely no say in who gets elected and consequently who shapes our laws for future generations.

I just saw a stat where they compared 35 or so countries (ranging from western/eastern europe to asia to central america), and almost all of the countries have declined in voter turnout in the past several years. America ranks 3rd from the bottom at 54% and Australia is tops at 95%. Not to mention the fact that there are usually numerous referendums/initiatives/etc... on the ballot that directly influence how your tax dollars are spent. In colorado this year I think we have 14, which is a ton (I had to make a cheat sheet today because there were so many). There are a lot of hot button issues on there.

Of course you're entitled to do whatever the heck you want to do...but I used to be like you, and now I'm a reformed voter. :p

rock on.

I am voting and can't wait. I've always voted, since I was 18 (back in my former country) and until I was 31 I knew my vote was a wasted vote, yet I did my duty and voted. Rest assured all my votes were against that crazed totalitarian (Ceausescu) regime in power and they always claimed victory with 98.88% of the votes, despite the fact that was only one party on the ballot. You had to vote Yes or No, no other choice. I hope that's not going to happen in this country anytime soon.

So, I am voting...

I'm tired of the process. We've got a couple heated races in our area (MD and VA senatorial seats) and the negative ads are on every stinking commercial break. And experience shows that the new guys who run on the "If I win I'm going to really change the way Washington works" can't or don't once they get there. You send the old guy back or send a new guy in his place but I don't see any difference when all is said and done.

Locally it's not much better. Some of the new tricks the guys running for local office have learned include placing phone calls with recorded messages. I work nights and sleep during the day so I've gotten woken up far too many times by callers that aren't there telling me things I don't care to hear while not giving any option to remove my phone number from their lists.

Because of these two things I cannot wait until election day just to see all these politicians win or lose but, most importantly, just shut up and get off my TV and telephone.

Most reactions

Back