VR Lens setting and a Tripod Stand question

Lonnie1212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
If a camera and lens are mounted to a tripod stand, should the VR setting be turned to the 'off' position? A few weeks ago I heard that maybe it should be. But do not know for sure. How critical is the VR setting while being used on a tripod stand?

Thank you,

Lonnie

Yes turn it off. When on a tripod, the VR can actually introduce camera shake.

Yes turn it off. When on a tripod, the VR can actually introduce camera shake.

A couple of weekends ago I had VR on while mounted to the tripod. Tried taking pictures of the moon and Saturn. There was constant distorted images. Even while using the remote cable. I will turn the VR off this time.

Thank you,

Lonnie

Turn VR off when on a rigid tripod. If the head is loose( not locked) you can use VR.

Turn off
Whilst I only speak canon, it’s my understanding that IS/VR should be off on a tripod

Some of the newer IS/VC/OS is supposed to detect if your camera is mounted on a tripod. There's a few questions over just how effective it is.

I turn it off if I'm on a tripod or my shutter speed is high, though I've read some interesting theory about using stabilisation with birds in flight to make tracking easier. I think we are still a few generations away from it being fully effective.

Especially long exposures, turn it off. Even with no camera movement the VR system seems to always want to play.

simple answer... turn it off.

Why?
The system is looking for movement. there is a gyroscopic motor that operates either the lens or the sensor (ICIS). Regardless, the system does basically the same thing just in a diff. way. Move in approx. tandem the opposite direction of the movement detected. If there isn't any movement the gyroscope is still trying to move. Which causes the system to blur the image by default.
Digital IS is a totally diff. aspect.

Turn VR off when on a rigid tripod. If the head is loose( not locked) you can use VR.

That is an important point. Sometimes, even on a tripod, there is camera shake. For example when panning while using a ball head. On a monopod I always leave it on.

The general rule is to turn it off. However, on some (most?) newer lenses/cameras it doesn't really make a difference as they'll detect that it's on a tripod and therefor won't do anything.

I'll still turn it off, but when I forget, I usually can't tell the difference.

Read your user manual. If you lost it, you can find it online. Some longer glass has a tripod setting, like the Nikon 600mm f/4, which has a "normal" and "tripod" setting in addition to VR on and off. Others have 3 different settings in addition to on and off, like the Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3. Mode 1 is for handheld; Mode 2 is for panning; Mode 3 prioritizes stabilization of the captured image over stabilization in the viewfinder. The Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6 has "Normal" and "Sports" mode in addition to VR on and off. Sports mode is for moving subjects, so I assume it means panning. So, every lens is different, i.e, read your user's manual.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back