What's new

Tripod/monopod for travel

I find that for an exposure of anything over 1/2 second, I need a support of some sort. My first thought was a monopod. So, I took an old broom handle, taped my camera to the top and tried shooting long exposures.

Unfortunately for me, I found that even at 1/2 second, I would sometimes ruin a good shot, particularly on uneven or unstable (sand, rocks, steep slopes etc. So, I bought a nice tri-pod and my wife made a cloth tube with shoulder strap for hands free walking, climbing or hanging on a hook.

Good luck
 
I find that for an exposure of anything over 1/2 second, I need a support of some sort. My first thought was a monopod. So, I took an old broom handle, taped my camera to the top and tried shooting long exposures.

Unfortunately for me, I found that even at 1/2 second, I would sometimes ruin a good shot, particularly on uneven or unstable (sand, rocks, steep slopes etc. So, I bought a nice tri-pod and my wife made a cloth tube with shoulder strap for hands free walking, climbing or hanging on a hook.

Good luck
If it comes to it I have a good tripod I can bring. I’m just trying to travel with as little as possible and trying to keep the weight down. I don’t handle the heat well and have several health issues that are exasperated by the heat.

I’m currently considering the Sirui monopod that has the “feet” on it. I’m going to go out to my camera shop next week and see if they have one I can look at.
 
I also have accumulated few decades, so my stability leaves a bit to be desired.

I would think the Sirui monopod would be good choice, provided you have a reasonably level surface to set it on. Obviously a very steep or rocky terrain could be an issue. You might also check out its stability when fully extended with the weight of your camera and telephoto lens mounted on it.

A monopod offers less bulk and given this model's carbon fiber construction, it should be durable and lighter in weight. Plus, it offers, interchangeable base options, if your photographic adventures and techniques require them.

Good Luck
 
I also have accumulated few decades, so my stability leaves a bit to be desired.

I would think the Sirui monopod would be good choice, provided you have a reasonably level surface to set it on. Obviously a very steep or rocky terrain could be an issue. You might also check out its stability when fully extended with the weight of your camera and telephoto lens mounted on it.

A monopod offers less bulk and given this model's carbon fiber construction, it should be durable and lighter in weight. Plus, it offers, interchangeable base options, if your photographic adventures and techniques require them.

Good Luck
Thanks. I'm probably going to order it in the next week or two so I can test it out some. I think most places I'll be photographing on this trip will have level ground. Will probably be the palace and a few temples and going to the snake farm.
 
Hi, I've been out of the loop for a while but have a spur of the moment trip to Thailand coming up. I'm looking for recommendations for something compact and easy to set up/break down. I will be bringing either a Canon 70D or 6D Mark ii (not sure which lens yet). I'm not super concerned with what I get being top quality, I mainly need something that will help give some extra support for the camera as I've had some health issues lately where I sometimes have issues holding the camera steady. I have a very nice tripod already but my family isn't the type to wait for me while I mess with it and I'm hesitant to bring a $600 tripod in case it gets lost. Thanks.
I'd say you need a new family! My family don't want to wait on me they can go on. Keep in mind I have the keys to the car! Takes as long as it takes. Don't like it, go ahead on! I'm an old guy!
 
I'd say you need a new family! My family don't want to wait on me they can go on. Keep in mind I have the keys to the car! Takes as long as it takes. Don't like it, go ahead on! I'm an old guy!
Sometimes I wish! :) I just don’t have the energy to listen to the kids complain or my dad comment “why is it taking so damn long to take a picture. A picture’s a picture.” He’s 85 and cranky so I can’t argue with him too much.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom